Alternative Armour Thoughts

Started by GTX, March 10, 2006, 01:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dexter059

That´s a neat idea. The guns look like 35mm as you said, like the ones on the Gepard.

I gotta build one day an AA Abrams with a Gepard turret... :rolleyes:  :lol:

Cheers :cheers:  

GTX

And whilst on SPAAGs, how about this proposal from Oerlikon - the Oerlikon GDF-D03:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

General Zod

QuoteHi folks,

Another old image to wet your appetites re Armour what-ifs:  the G6 SPAAG proposal using a South African G-6 chassis mounting a British Marksmen twin 35mm (?) SPAAG turret:

Regards,

Greg
That looks like a vehicle from a Godzilla movie Hey now........There's an idea Build some of the armor from Japanese sci-fi movies :dum:  
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

GTX

Hi folks,

Anyone want to put this on a Armoured Whiff:

The Redback Weapon System:

RedbackTM is a lightweight, fast-reaction, remotely operated, weapon system. It is designed to provide intense directed firepower for short periods in applications such as vehicle protection, convoy defence, perimeter control, robotic systems and area denial.

The system is designed to include the following features and benefits:
•  Firepower.  RedbackTM deploys multiple 40mm Metal Storm barrels firing a range of munitions at selectable rates of fire, including the ability to engage up to 3 targets in 1.2 seconds. With EOS precision sensors and control systems, this results in intense directed firepower.
•  Light.  RedbackTM will be available in system weights from 70-100 kg - less than one conventionally-equipped combatant.
•  Fast.  RedbackTM control and servo systems will allow multiple threats to be engaged , fast enough to engage incoming missiles and projectiles for vehicle defence.
•  Intelligent.  RedbackTM has proven EOS networking capabilities that allow multiple systems to operate with a coordinated response to large threats.
•  Versatile.  RedbackTM can carry a mixed load of munitions to allow non-lethal and lethal response at the same time.  This range of response is an unmet market need for peacekeeping missions and urban warfare with non-combatants present.

Video of it firing is available here.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Hi folks,

An interesting Russian beast named the Koalicija was recently posted over on Secret Projects (look here)

Here are a couple of pics:

Regards,

Greg

Radish

woweeeeee.....I LURVE THAT!!!!!!

Whoooopeeeeeee!!!

Israeli? Thinking on an M.109 ??

In the Italeri kit there's a long and short barrel.
What about putting both....short on top, or lengthen it to the same as the long one?

Cool.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Aircav

QuoteWell they definately fire APDS (if you mean armour peircing discarding sabot ?) because British guns have used it since the back end of WWII. The French designed a round which had a ball-bearing mounted base that when fired from a rifled gun meant that the main body of the shell did not spin - forget if that's HEAT or AP Squash Head
There are two main kinds of sabot round, one is just a sub-calibre explosive shell or sold shot which is short like a standard round and there for needs a rifle barrel to inpart a spin to stabilise it and the other kind is a long dart type shot which has fins and uses its length to stabilise it like a arrow and is best fired from a smooth bore barrel.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

lancer

Dunno if that Russian beast is effective or not, BUT I wouldn't like to come up against it. Besides, I think it looks pretty damm good to me.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

cletus spuckler

The two cannon 2S19 is quite a treat... reminds me of Command and Conquer Red Alert. Recoil must be a bugger on the turret structure. Twice the bang for the same crew allotment, sweet!

General Zod

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 22, 2008, 02:57:03 AM
So there I was again, unable to sleep and came up with another idea that needed to be shared. 

How about the M26, M46, or M47 getting a new main gun such as the 105mm from the AMX-30?  A good example of what I am referring to is the modifications made to the M4 Sherman by Israel with the 105mm main gun and that huge muzzle brake, this would work quite well on the M26, M46, and M47.  Since the original 90mm main gun ammunition is approximately the same length as the 105mm ammunition it would not be a difficult modification to the turret to provide adequate storage for the projectiles. 

Great idea Jeff
I know(I think) I told you in chat I was thinking of taking that M51 105 from the Academy kit and mounting it on a Pershing I still can't come up with a suitable muzzle brake for it I don't like the muzzle brake for a US 105 that comes with the M51 kit

I can see some countries who used the M47 adapting the 105 from the AMX 30 That is a great theme  :drink: :bow: :thumbsup:
Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 22, 2008, 02:57:03 AMHow about the M26, M46, or M47 getting a new main gun such as the 105mm from the AMX-30?  A good example of what I am referring to is the modifications made to the M4 Sherman by Israel with the 105mm main gun and that huge muzzle brake, this would work quite well on the M26, M46, and M47.  Since the original 90mm main gun ammunition is approximately the same length as the 105mm ammunition it would not be a difficult modification to the turret to provide adequate storage for the projectiles.

Quote from: General Zod on November 22, 2008, 05:47:24 PMGreat idea Jeff
I know(I think) I told you in chat I was thinking of taking that M51 105 from the Academy kit and mounting it on a Pershing I still can't come up with a suitable muzzle brake for it I don't like the muzzle brake for a US 105 that comes with the M51 kit

I can see some countries who used the M47 adapting the 105 from the AMX 30 That is a great theme  :drink: :bow: :thumbsup:

So it was not a dream after all, it was you that put that idea in my head :)  To be honest, I had completely forgot about you mentioning that to me in our chat session.  But now that you have refreshed my memory I will admit that this is indeed your idea and can no longer claim it as my own.  Of course this means the senseless slaughter of an innocent DML/Dragon or Academy M51 Isherman kit for that signature muzzle brake and long gun tube.  The other option is to consider the dreaded Heller AMX-30 to get the desired results without the muzzle brake.  Both of these are going to be expensive endeavors but the end result will justify the means by which you got there. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

General Zod

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 22, 2008, 11:35:40 PM
Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on November 22, 2008, 02:57:03 AMHow about the M26, M46, or M47 getting a new main gun such as the 105mm from the AMX-30?  A good example of what I am referring to is the modifications made to the M4 Sherman by Israel with the 105mm main gun and that huge muzzle brake, this would work quite well on the M26, M46, and M47.  Since the original 90mm main gun ammunition is approximately the same length as the 105mm ammunition it would not be a difficult modification to the turret to provide adequate storage for the projectiles.

Quote from: General Zod on November 22, 2008, 05:47:24 PMGreat idea Jeff

So it was not a dream after all, it was you that put that idea in my head :)  To be honest, I had completely forgot about you mentioning that to me in our chat session.  But now that you have refreshed my memory I will admit that this is indeed your idea and can no longer claim it as my own.  Of course this means the senseless slaughter of an innocent DML/Dragon or Academy M51 Isherman kit for that signature muzzle brake and long gun tube.  The other option is to consider the dreaded Heller AMX-30 to get the desired results without the muzzle brake.  Both of these are going to be expensive endeavors but the end result will justify the means by which you got there. 

No worries Jeff :drink: I bought an Academy M51 from evil bay for cheap I am using the E8 parts for an M4A2E8 90mm whif So I will have some leftover parts,like the gun barrel etc  :thumbsup:
Death before decaf
Chad

dy031101

apophenia mentioned a "Lorraine 40t" tank as the competitor to AMX-50 in the halftrack thread.

I couldn't seem to find an English-language description of the tank (all I could find are French and Russian)...... but judging from the picture that he posted, the tank seems to possess the ability to remove the tracks for road travel...... was my observation correct?

And can anyone kindly provide a description (history, performance info) in English?  Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rallymodeller

I really like the idea of light tanks. My personal favourite is the AAI T92 concept from 1957:

It's no bigger than a Sheridan, and 2/3 the height. 76mm gun, but that could have been upgraded. I wish someone did a model of it...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

dy031101

Quote from: apophenia on December 18, 2008, 06:26:54 PM
AFAIK, all of the Lorraine vehicles were driven by track sprockets - they had no power to their roadwheels. Here's a bit more on the three types...

How does it work then and what do the pneumatic tires do?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here