Alternative Armour Thoughts

Started by GTX, March 10, 2006, 01:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I found an interesting page on the Polish tankettes from the 30s. In particular, a "self transporting" tankette mounted on a truck chassis:

rallymodeller

Anyone want to try this bad boy: the T18 Boarhound armoured car prototype...

Looks almost like an 8x8 Sherman to me.

Much later on, there is the Lockheed Twister:
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

dy031101

I was reminded of the Trackless Tank T13.

There seems to be a version designated as a 3" gun motor carriage...... is the gun housed in an open-top turret (like most other US tank destroyers) or is it hull-mounted (I saw a couple of wheeled GMCs designed this way)?

(I was thinking...... a T13 equipped with the turret of M18 Hellcat would be cool.....)
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Maverick

Those wheeled jobbies make me think my Armoured Car conversion of the M3 Stuart wasn't so silly after all...

Regards,

Mav

dy031101

There seem to be quite a number of armoured cars that have variants carrying either a QF 75mm tank gun or a 75mm pack howitzer.

Say, around 40 to 50 years later, against enemies similar in nature to Vietcong of the Vietnam War fame, warring parties in the Balkan region, and Middle East insurgents...... which armament would remain more useful?

====================

To-do list here

ranger6

Quote from: rallymodeller on December 18, 2008, 06:23:12 PM
My personal favourite is the AAI T92 concept from 1957:

I wish someone did a model of it...

Right on Rallymodeleler! the T-92 is one of my favorite tanks as well. There was a model done in 1/48 scale (possibly by Lindberg), but they're fairly scarce nowadays. IMHO, the T92 would be a better starting point for the US Future Combat System than the current crop of FCS projects that DoD is pushing. Thus, for example:

-T92 Light Cavalry Tank (baseline model), mounting 90MM gun
-T92 TD1, mounting 105MM gun
-T92 TD2, mounting ATGWs
-T92 LAAG, mounting the ground version of Phalanx (25MM gattling gun)

Of course, we can dream! Now if somebody just made a decent model in HO/OO, I'd be in heaven.

:cheers:

Ranger6

dy031101

Which part of the Char Lorraine was relatively more successful?  The hull or the turret?

(Okay I guess I should just ask if the Char Lorraine could have been saved by equipping the hull with a conventional turret instead......)

====================

To-do list here

Doc Yo

Quote from: ranger6 on January 21, 2009, 11:16:19 AM
Quote from: rallymodeller on December 18, 2008, 06:23:12 PM
My personal favourite is the AAI T92 concept from 1957:

I wish someone did a model of it...

Right on Rallymodeleler! the T-92 is one of my favorite tanks as well. There was a model done in 1/48 scale (possibly by Lindberg), but they're fairly scarce nowadays. IMHO, the T92 would be a better starting point for the US Future Combat System than the current crop of FCS projects that DoD is pushing. Thus, for example:

-T92 Light Cavalry Tank (baseline model), mounting 90MM gun
-T92 TD1, mounting 105MM gun
-T92 TD2, mounting ATGWs
-T92 LAAG, mounting the ground version of Phalanx (25MM gattling gun)

Of course, we can dream! Now if somebody just made a decent model in HO/OO, I'd be in heaven.

:cheers:

Ranger6

Yes and no. It wasn't Lindberg, I think it might have been Renwal or Ideal, and it was substatially bigger than
1/48th. I looked in the box at one at the last Austin show, and its about twice the size it would have been in 1/48.
( No scale was listed on the box,as I recall. ) It wasn't hideously expensive, at $30 US, but my budget for the
show was only $25, and I'd already picked up a few things. They do pop up on E-bay occasionally, but the
prices tend to run a little higher. It is a sharp little number, cancelled only because it wasn't amphibious...

Since we're on the subject, has anyone ever seen plan views for the "Ontos 1960", a follow-on to the
Ontos tank destroyer of the 'fifties? It was supposed to be armed with a pair of automated 106mm RCL,
( Sort of an oversized revolver arrangement ) instead of the six seperate single shot RCLs of the original.

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on January 21, 2009, 04:12:50 PM
ITC was the name of the company that produced the T92 kit and it was in an odd scale. 

According to collector sources the ITC kit is 1/24th, Tamiya 1/50th and the Hawk kit is 1/48th.

Jon

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on January 21, 2009, 04:12:50 PMITC was the name of the company that produced the T92 kit and it was in an odd scale. 
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 21, 2009, 04:58:01 PMAccording to collector sources the ITC kit is 1/24th, Tamiya 1/50th and the Hawk kit is 1/48th.

Jon,

Thanks for the additional information on the other T92 kits.  I had no idea that Tamiya and Hawk were offering smaller scale kits of the same subject.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

dy031101

Does anyone know if there is a kit for the Lorraine 40t?

Looking at apophenia's excellent work, I kept on thinking that putting a GCT 155mm turret or, if one doesn't mind scratchbuilding the forward hull superstructure, a Roland SAM turret on the Lorraine 40t hull would be super cool, too.

====================

To-do list here

Joe C-P

How about a modern version of the Lee/Grant or Char B1? A short-barreled howitzer in the hull, and a turret with a 25mm or 30mm. It would serve as a ground troop support vehicle, with the light gun for anti-personnel and the howitzer for smashing.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

dy031101

Quote from: apophenia on February 24, 2009, 09:07:07 AM
Lorraine 40t hull with GCT 155mm howitzer turret as promised to dy031101.

:bow:

Quote from: JoeP on February 03, 2009, 09:22:54 AM
How about a modern version of the Lee/Grant or Char B1? A short-barreled howitzer in the hull, and a turret with a 25mm or 30mm. It would serve as a ground troop support vehicle, with the light gun for anti-personnel and the howitzer for smashing.

Are modern 120mm breech-loading mortars capable of direct-fire?

Just wondering if it would be a good replacement for small howitzers as advertised by European and Russian companies...... and onboard such fire support vehicles......

====================

To-do list here

apophenia

Quote from: dy031101 on February 24, 2009, 09:35:33 AM
Are modern 120mm breech-loading mortars capable of direct-fire?

Yes but their rounds are less effective in direct fire than equivalent guns/howitzers.

dy031101

Stumbling across info page on the SU-100Y Self-propelled Gun by chance, I found its choice of road wheels interesting-looking.

Click on the "su100y_01" picture- are the road wheels of inflated rubber tyre types like Lorraine 40t?  Just seeking a rough idea- I never found a picture that clearly shows details of the road wheel from the Lorraine 40t and figured I might use something similar as a reference.

====================

To-do list here