Alternative Armour Thoughts

Started by GTX, March 10, 2006, 01:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

They are rather obviously of solid rubber construction.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

MAD

Quote from: salt6 on December 30, 2006, 05:08:37 PM

I like it!
It makes complete sense - Gepard turret system, on a straight fit to the M1 chassis
The only problem would be The United States Army!
They would be bound to stuff such a simple task of fitting an existing and excellent working turret, without over budget, adding unnecessary and unwarranted U.S. technology!
Pity, as the U.S Army has needed such a SPAAG since the introduction of the M1 MBT!

M.A.D

tahsin

I think US Army was actually looking into a twin35 like the Gepard , before SGT York was chosen .

rickshaw

There have been several:

In the early 1970s there was a proposed AA tank which mounted twin 30mm cannon with the radar between but I can't find an image at the moment.

During the DIVAD competition in the late 1970s:

Raytheon proposed using the turret from the Dutch version of the German Gepard flakpanzer. Most of the turret remained the same as the original Gepard, including the twin 35 mm Oerlikon KDA cannons, but used Hollandse Signaalapparaten radars and an Oerlikon Contraves fire-control computer. Raytheon demonstrated that the turret, although designed for the Leopard 1, could be mounted on the M48 with some adaptation.

General Dynamics' entry also mounted twin Oerlikon KDA cannons, but mounted them side-by-side in a new aluminum turret, as opposed to either side of the turret as in the Gepard. They could be fired in either the automatic or semiautomatic mode, and their combined rate of fire was 1,100 rounds per minute from a 600 round magazine. The radar and fire control systems were derived from their Phalanx CIWS system, with the tracking radar mounted on the front of the turret, beside the guns, and the search radar on top. The turret also included independently stabilized optical sights and a laser range finder for manual engagements:

Before that,

raafif

Quote from: manytanks on December 23, 2010, 05:35:17 PM
Hi all doing some work on a Karl, 

make it into a Sturm-Karl (maybe with an open rear superstructure) -- tho I don't know how many more HP you'll need to drive it around  ;D

"He may have flinched when shooting his .38 revolver, but you can't call anyone who fires a 10" naval cannon at point-blank range, a coward" -- Miss Hazelston after firing her father's 6-barrelled elephant-gun designed to incapacitate the beast at 500 yds.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

rickshaw

Quote from: raafif on December 26, 2010, 04:00:11 PM
Quote from: manytanks on December 23, 2010, 05:35:17 PM
Hi all doing some work on a Karl, 

make it into a Sturm-Karl (maybe with an open rear superstructure) -- tho I don't know how many more HP you'll need to drive it around  ;D

You know, some people called Adolph Hitler insane when he suggested turning an 80cm railway gun into an anti-tank weapon.  I prefer to think they were right!   ;D ;D

raafif

I'm not insane .... just "eccentric"  ;D

Still, looks like Manytanks may actually do it  :o

manytanks

no not going to do a sturm Karl becouse.......i think the gun is just a little bit too big ;D   
Do you have any models at all?

raafif

not too big when put against a KV-II or one of those multi-turretted soviet tanks ?

you can still insert the longer, smaller calibre barrel.

rickshaw

Quote from: raafif on December 30, 2010, 03:56:04 PM
not too big when put against a KV-II or one of those multi-turretted soviet tanks ?

you can still insert the longer, smaller calibre barrel.

Either way, it would still be the largest calibred Assault Gun in the world (60cm versus 54cm)!  No other vehicle came close (and KVII and other Soviet multi-turreted tanks were [b[tanks[/b] not Assault Guns).

ChernayaAkula

Leclerc T40

A real world proposal for a highly mobile and well-protected reconnaissance vehicle based on the Leclerc MBT. The MBT turret is exchanged for a new turret equipped with a 40mm gun, guided missiles, grenade launcher and a remote controlled weapon station. Apparently it was influenced by the Russian BMP-T (LINK!)
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Maverick

I really don't see the sense of this one or the BMP-T.  Using something the size of an MBT chassis with a small turret just seems to make a recce vehicle harder to hide, which is a primary function of the type.  They're designed to be small and easily concealed to be able to perform the mission, not clanking around like a tank with all the resultant noise, etc.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

Well there are different thoughts on recce, particularly these days with so many non-armour assets available too. The German Spahpanzer Luchs is HUGE for an armoured car, yet is still rated a recce vehicle, and not armed for anything more. A number of small "4x4 armoured car" sized AFVs have been rejected for the recce role over the years because they couldn't carry all the required hardware and supplies. I could see a case for the T40 if the volume gained by the turret swap was used to carry recce equipment, such as a mast-mounted sight, for example.

The BMP-T may have inspired the T40, but it's not a recce vehicle itself. It's a "tank support vehicle" stemming from experience in Chechniya, where dismounted infantry who were supposed to be protecting the flanks of tanks got separated from them in urban terrain. The BMP-T provides infantry/IFV "fires" on a platform that can stay with the tanks, protecting them from infantry ATGWs and destroying soft and light-armoured targets, thereby saving tank main gun rounds.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

frank2056

I used the BMP-T as an inspiration for my Urban A4 Leo, The turret on the T40 looks similar to the turret on a Bradley. Hmmm... Leclercs aren't too expensive in 1/35 and Academy has a cheap, outstanding Bradley kit (although it represents an early version).

apophenia

Quote from: frank2056 on March 29, 2011, 07:26:37 PM
... The turret on the T40 looks similar to the turret on a Bradley...

That turret is a variation on CTA International's 2-man turret for the Warrior upgrade. It's pretty square-ish so it probably wouldn't be that hard to scratch out of cardstock.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/379162