Me-262 and derivatives

Started by GTX, March 14, 2006, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 18, 2008, 04:47:33 AM
I don't see the point of it at all - you get less rate of fire than with 4 30mm cannon and why fit it onto a two seater in the first place?

I think it was just a further interpretation of some of the real world proposals the Luftwaffe had.  For instance, they did experiment with upward firing rockets in the Me-163.  This was the SG-500 "Jagdfaust (Fighter Fist)" armament array, consisting of ten fixed upward-firing recoilless firing tubes, each loaded with a single 50 millimeter projectile, with a counterweight blasted out of the bottom of the tube to cancel recoil on firing. The array of tubes was armed by the pilot on approach to a target bomber; as he flew underneath the bomber, a photoelectric cell fired the tubes into the aircraft's belly. Twelve Me-163Bs were modified with the Jagdfaust system and at least one kill was scored using it.

There was also this proposed anti-bomber He-177 which was proposed to use Wfr.Gr.42 rockets:

I think the idea behind the upward firing rockets was that there was less need to aim (remembering that even experienced pilots found it difficult to aim in time when approaching the bombers at high speed); there was also a greater area to aim for (aircraft in Plan view rather than from behind/headon); and less need to face the defensive guns of the bombers.

As for the two seater - Someone to look up? Artistic licence?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

More on the SG500 Jägerfaust here:  http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/weapons01.htm

A little research indicates that it was indeed considered for the Me-262B.

Regards,

Greg

Maverick

Quote from: ysi_maniac on April 21, 2008, 06:12:48 AM
That He-177 MUST be done :thumbsup:

Carlos,

That is available in 72nd scale from a firm called Antares.  I'm unaware of costs or availabilty however.

Regards,

Mav

GTX

Anymore pics of the Hi-altitude recon one?  Maybe from above?

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Another variation on the theme - what if the gas turbines still weren't quite there and the Luftwaffe went the route the Italians and Russians (and probably a few others as well) tried, that of thermojets:

Regards,

Greg

Jeffry Fontaine

Has anyone considered an Me-262 powered by four BMW engines?  While the previous pages show a couple of variations on that theme with an Me-262 or should that be an Me-462 Mistel that has four engines mounted on the wing section between the two fuselages and there is a resin conversion for a four engine Me-262 powered by pulsejets, I have yet to see an Me-262 with a pair of BMW engines (from the Ar-234B) mounted on it. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on April 25, 2008, 02:05:36 PM
Has anyone considered an Me-262 powered by four BMW engines?  While the previous pages show a couple of variations on that theme with an Me-262 or should that be an Me-462 Mistel that has four engines mounted on the wing section between the two fuselages and there is a resin conversion for a four engine Me-262 powered by pulsejets, I have yet to see an Me-262 with a pair of BMW engines (from the Ar-234B) mounted on it. 

Stop reading my mind - I was just thinking of a 4 jet Me-262!!!

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

What if the Jumo engine was engineered into better fuel efficiency and greater reliability?   And the Me-262 continued in production in Germany post war; and camera miniaturization had begun to a point.

The French could have unarmed reconnaisance Me-262's with the camera facing forward rather than the  twin hernias usually seen, and be painted overall green.   And of course being progressive from an engineering standpoint, the aircraft had rudimentary winglets.

:cheers:
Daryl J.

GTX

Folks,

Looking for your recommendations for a 1/48 ME-262 two seater kit.

Regards,

Greg

The Wooksta!

Dragon did the nightfighter in 48th.  Just a question of finding it.  ARBA did a two seat nightfighter conversion for the old Revellogram kit.  I've one of the latter somewhere.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

dumaniac

Hi GTX - there is an image of a 4 engined 262 on the web - they were individuals rather than two twin packs, nice piece of photo-shop

and yes Dragon did a two seat version with radar - they appear on ebay occassionally

and CMK does a resin conversion which i used to make the Me 262 HG 3 - it comes with radar

cheers

Bernie

KJ_Lesnick

Salt6,

That bomber Me-262 looks like it could also be a navalized Me-262 as it looks like it would have very good over the nose visibility.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

The Wooksta!

I've toyed with the idea of that but the Bv P.197 would have been a better bet as the engines are in the fuselage.  It's very 262like in many respects.

The 262 would have had nosegear problems - it was rolled steel and tended to break.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

GTX

Mindless doodling:

Regards,

Greg