Antipodean Super Sabre

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 15, 2006, 06:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Soon after entry into service the RAAF's F-100D Super Sabres found themselves deploying for combat in Vietnam.  As part of Australia's expanded commitment to the conflict 1 Squadron deployed 12 Super Sabres to Phan Rang in May 1967, where they joined 2 Squadron Canberras already in theatre.

This aircraft is shown in a freshly polished natural metal finish immediately prior to its first combat mission in the CAS role.  It carries two napalm canisters on the outboard pylons and two SUU-30 cluster bombs on the inboards.

By early 1968 the RAAF F-100s in Vietnam were appearing in a three-tone green cemouflage.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

SimonR

That's sweet. Very authentic NMF, particularly on the hot section of the engine. You'd better go ahead and build the cammo one now, it seems a shame not have the pair.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

cthulhu77

What he said...nice stuff there, I'm envious !

glanini

I have always loved the Super Sabre and once I had a diorama of it in Vietnam. Great Idea an aussie one........

Great work

:wub:  :wub:  
... The hottest places in Hell are reserved for the ones who, in times of great moral crisis, stay neutral ..........

Mike Wren

Supertom

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW   :wub:  
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Scooterman

DROOL!!!![/size]
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Radish

Just.....LOVELY. :wub:  :P  :wub:  :P  :wub:  :P  :wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Damian2

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ahhhhh man, he's done it again !

Great model Flugzeug Driver........ As usual :cheers:

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

Oh man AD that's gotta be the hottest F-100 yet! A real show-stopper! Yours is the work of a master on that NMF!

Brian da Basher

K5054NZ

I wish I could tell you exactly what I think of that build, AD, but the language ain't family-oriented.

Let me just say this: you are the master, I wish to study your works, and I am envious beyond all belief.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Gorgeously fantastically whifgasmically brilliant my friend. WOW.

Jack Bobson

B777LR

That isnt a whiff, oh wait a moment, F100s never flew with the austriches.

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.