Canadair CL-13K - RCN SeaSabre Mk.1

Started by datguy, March 16, 2006, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

datguy

So here it is: The Canadair CL-13K SeaSabre Mk.1, Circa 1964

As the old Banshees were becoming outdated in the late '50s, the RCN was faced with the dilemma of how to protect the HMCS Bonaventure from long range Russian attack platforms.  A-4 Scooters were considered a great match for the Bonnie's size, but they lacked the night and adverse weather interceptor capability that was needed in the far northern seas.  

Studies of the F11F, Crusader and SeaVixen found that they were too hot for the small deck of the Bonnie.  The Dassault Etendard IV was a strong candidate, and immensely popular among the Quebecois members of parliament, but was  an insufficiently mature design to be accepted.  Grumman offered rehabbed F9F-8 Cougars, but the fact the Banshees had been second-hand USN birds didn't place the Iron Works offer in a good position with the RCN or the politicians.

The issue was largely settled when Canadair, working in conjunction with North American, revived their Orenda powered all-weather CL-13H design, incorporated naval features of the early FJ series, and adapted the 4x20mm cannon armament of the FJ and the F-86K.  The radar was markedly updated and improved from the original cranky F-86D E-3 fire control system.  The final decision in favor of the CL-13K was crystalized by the desire to keep the Canadair line open after production of the Sabre Mk.6 wound down.  

In the end, 24 airframes were produced. They bore RCN serials 23753-23776 in consecutive sequence with the serials of the last Sabre Mk.6s.

The kit is the Airfix F-86D built out of the box apart from being modified to have   cannon armament in plave of the -86D's rocket pack.  Decals are from the scrap box, with some additional help from Airjim.  

DG

The Rat

Well datguy, disguy approves!  :wub:  :wub:

:cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

K5054NZ

And so does disguy!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: Great stuff datguy! I love it! Viva le navalisation!

elmayerle

Great stuff!!  Now I need to start gathering the necessary bits to do a SeaSabre mk.2 that incorporates suitable bits from the FJ-4 to make an even better aircraft.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Alvis 3.1

NARSES2

There's something about EDSG/Sky  :wub:  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dork the kit slayer

" when Harry net Sally diner scene"....definitely yes. :wub:  :wub:  :D  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Gary

Sweeeeeet! Wish I had thought of that!
Getting back into modeling

gooberliberation

:wub:  You know, I think I'm getting a thing for that FAA-style scheme with the sharp lines
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

datguy

QuoteGreat stuff!!  Now I need to start gathering the necessary bits to do a SeaSabre mk.2 that incorporates suitable bits from the FJ-4 to make an even better aircraft.
Absolutely!

This is clearly an interim design.  I had thought about upgrading to a twin nose wheel, but in the end expedience and laziness (errr....  an early entry-into-service date) won out.

To be viable in the role in the 1962-1970 time frame, it probably needs longer range AAMs like Falcon or at least Genie.  Without a burner and a lot more gas, the SeaSabre would be hard pressed to catch a Bear, much less a Badger, to bring those 20mms to bear.  

I envision Scooters in the attack role on board Bonnie, but there's nothing to say that a mix of Sabre-derived interceptors (like this) and attackers (a la FJ-4B) wouldn't work.  It would certainly be a lot easier on the logistics train.

DG

AirJim

Shasper

To be viable in the role in the 1962-1970 time frame, it probably needs longer range AAMs like Falcon or at least Genie.
Sidewinder and Sparrow II/III's would be better I think, since later model Fury's sported both before retirement (unless my brain took a dump  :blink: )

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Ginge!

F-32