Project for the week

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 23, 2006, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

My very first project posted here was a Fokker F-27 gunship started back in December 04.  After sitting about 1/5 complete in my stash for almost that long, I decided to pull it out and finish it.  

So far I've got the fuselage together (terrible fit on this Esci kit), to wings/nacelles mostly done (again terrible fit on the nacelles), and some weapons picked out.  When I first started the guns were crude styrene and brass tube affairs that to me looked all wrong (probably the main reason I set it aside).  Now I have a halfway decent scratchbuilt GAU-12, two 1/48 20mm wing cannons from a Skyraider, and a 1/72 25mm cannon from a Bradley to arm this build.  The 1/48 Skyraider guns will become 1/72 scale 40mm Bofors guns.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Brian da Basher

You know I'm looking forward to that one AD! Can't wait to see your pics!

Brian da Basher

Damian2

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

B777LR

AeroplaneDriver

Quotewill you add HARMs?
Thats a good question triple7.  I've been thinking about a twin Sidewinder rail on one wing and a Sky Shadow ECM pod on the other, but I've also considered an ALARM instead of one of the Sidewinders.

I think I finally have the gun fit finalized with the GAU-12, 2 X 25mm Bushmasters, and a larger caliber Bofors (40 or 57mm).

Pics tonight of the progress so far.

The Rat

Very interested in this one AD, I've started work on a similar concept with a Transall C-160 in 1/220th scale.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

AeroplaneDriver

I promised pictures yesterday, but now that the new Dr. Who has finally made it to the colonies, our Friday nights are spoken for.

So here are the first few pics of this ongoing build:

I hope to finish this build by tomorrow night, so today should see the building complete and paint on.  Tomorrow should be Future, decals, weathering, and final details.

Closeup of the gun fit.  Two 25mm Bushmaster cannons were donated from Revell Bradleys (one will not be permanently glued in place in case I get a bug to build the unbuilt Bradley kit).  The larger gun at the rear is a wing cannon from a 1/48 Skyraider.  It will be a 40mm Bofors gun in 1/72.  Finally the rotary cannon is a 25mm GAU-12 5-barrell.  It is scratchbuilt from styrene rod and sprue.

The fairing between the guns in the SLAR antenna.

B777LR

looking good. You could possibly add two fueltanks under wings (like C130s), and a HARM under one wing, and ECM pod under the other wing.

AeroplaneDriver

Drop tanks will be fitted

Svaz

That's awesome! I've got one of those ESCI F.27's in the stash (non-whif, but esoteric enough) but it's midway through the queue. One day ...
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

AeroplaneDriver

Paint went on last night, so today is for detail parts like the guns, underwing stores, a few more antennae, etc., decals and weathering.  Should be ready for finished pics by tonight!

For the scheme, I went with (sorry to dissapoint) allover Medium Sea Grey.  I know it's boring, but I'm going through a phase where I like grey warplanes.  Like they say, for everything there is a time, and for the RAF in the late 90s-early 00s it is a time for grey.  For a medium level attack aircraft it is a good operational color, so boring or not, grey she is!

Anyway, off to maul some more plastic so I can get some pics up later!

wolfik

looks good!
Im planing to do a Do228 frm revell with lenghtened fuselage and with four engines as an anti sub craft....
again!looks really interesting!

gooberliberation

When I was a kid visiting the philippines, I remember taking a flight in what i believe was an F27... I do remember staring out the window daydreaming that i was blowing things away in the jungle below. ^_^  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

AeroplaneDriver

Well dammit, I didnt get finished tonight as I had planned.  No real reason, other than I was a slow modeller today.   :(

BUT, I am close...stand is built (inflight display), model is complete except for a panel line wash and gluing the fiddly bits on, and the backstory is saved in Word.  

So...tomorrow I'll post the finished item.

dragon

from Revell Bradleys (one will not be permanently glued in place in case I get a bug to build the unbuilt Bradley kit).
There are still other things you can do with the Bradley- Ambulance version, Police version, something completly different- you get the drift.

I have purchased the 1/72 TPZ-1 and the 1/72 Bradley.  I am thinking of mounting the turret of the Bradley on the TPZ.  Then I shall see what else I can get away with.  B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST