Bugatti Model 100

Started by GTX, March 29, 2006, 01:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

Does anyone know who makes kits of the Bugatti Model 100?  I have only come across references to RC models or a 1/43rd (odd scale) kit.  I think this has to go down as one of the most beautiful aircraft ever created and was thinking of doing one up as it really was and the other as a what-if operational fighter.  Here are some cool pictures:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

BlackOps

WOW! that is a looker  :wub:  

I have a project in mind that will be using a v-tail and this picture just helped a bunch, I especially like the way the rear landing gear is done, can't help with your search but thanks a heap for sharing this :)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

GTX

Jeff,

Yes it certainly is a looker - don't you also love the tidy arrangement for the radiator intakes on the tail fins?  Here are some more links with information on this beauty:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection...100%20Racer.asp
http://www.bugattirevue.com/revue4/plane.htm
http://www.tdmsoftware.com/majewski/rcstuf...ugattiinfo.html
http://www.bugattiaircraft.com/kalempa.htm

Interestingly in the last link is some information regarding a proposed military version:

"While construction proceeded, the threat of a coming war increased. France was behind the times in aircraft design and was seeking everywhere for modern warplanes. Consequently, Bugatti received a contract for a light pursuit version of the wooden structure racer, designated 110P, which would be equipped with two guns, ammunition, oxygen and self-sealing fuel tanks.

The contract included a bonus, if the racer, when completed, bettered the world speed record of 440 mph, a record which subsequently was raised to 463.92 mph by a Heinkel He 100 (March 30, 1939) and then to 469.22 mph by a Messerschmitt Me 209 (April 26, 1939). With strong nationalistic feelings, Bugatti, the proud Frenchman, determined to wrest the record back from the Germans with his Model 100, which was considered capable of a speed of over 500 mph! But the course of events robbed him of any chance to try.

The Model 100 was just nearing completion when the Germans invaded France, and as the German armies neared Paris in June 1940, the plane was lowered out of the furniture factory to the street, loaded on a truck, taken out into the country and hidden in a barn, where it was to remain for nearly thirty years."

If only they were able to work a bit faster - what might have been ...sigh!!!!

Regards,

Greg

jcf

Speaking of Bugatti "models" here's a whole series for  FS2004:
http://www.lionheartcreations.com/bugatti_CD.html

Cheers, Jon

BlackOps

OH MY! I can't believe I've never seen this before, I'm going to go back and read all the links again. I love the vid for the flight sim :)

love these pics!

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

TsrJoe

'Projekts Modelworks' in the US. did a limited run injection of the Buggatti Racer many moons ago, i think theres also a few resin examples around too, czech, etc?

:ph34r:

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

NARSES2

Have a look at the Unicraft site - I know Igor is doing the weird looking "Colani" racer

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madoc

Greg & all,

I'd already heard of this beauty but had no idea someone had spent so much quality time rendering it.  Those images are beautiful!

As to the actual machine, I'd have to imagine the pilot would be in for quite an exciting time - the crankshafts for those engines ran on either side of him as he sat there in its tiny little cockpit.  That, plus the shafts also had to bend around the nose of the plane just to reach those props.

Still though, she sure is purty!

Madoc

Wherever you go, there you are!

GTX

Jon, Jeff,

Thanks for the additional links - I especially like the P-200 Turbo-prop concept.

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

What a beautiful machine!   I wonder what it would have evolved into with the advent of the turbine engine and composite airframes!

Daryl J.

GTX

Oh happy days indeed!!!!  A 1/48th Bugatti 100P kit has been released - I think I will get 4 or 5 or more...

See review of kit here.

Some pics (courtesy of aeroscale.co.uk):

And just a few of the beauty:

Regards,

Greg

NARSES2

Good example of Planets mouldings - should be a relatively simple build of a beautiful aircraft - fingers crossed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

BlackOps

I might just have to track one of these down, I wish it wasn't resin but it's just to cool of an aircraft not to get one.  :wub:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: BlackOps on November 11, 2008, 08:01:23 AMI might just have to track one of these down, I wish it wasn't resin but it's just to cool of an aircraft not to get one.  :wub:

Quote from: TsrJoe on March 30, 2006, 05:57:26 AM'Projekts Modelworks' in the US. did a limited run injection of the Buggatti Racer many moons ago, i think theres also a few resin examples around too, czech, etc?

Must have been the Modelworks kit that I encountered in the vendor room of a model contest back around 1988.  When I saw the kit which was a one piece casting I asked about the scale since it was rather tiny.  When I was told that it was a 1/48th scale kit, I was quite surprised since the thing was so small that it fit in the palm of my hand.  That being said, maybe this is a subject that would be better appreciated in a larger scale such as 1/32nd or 1/24th scale. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

Another pair of nice pics:

Note:  Bigger versions of these may be found here and here.
Regards,

Greg