Shorts Belfast

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 29, 2006, 05:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I read somewhere recently that a hybrid of the Shorts Belfast and Lockheed Starlifter was once on the drawing board.  Cant find the reference now, and would love to know if there is anything available on this.  Cant really find anything on google.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Geoff_B

It was propoosed to build new belfasts fuselages and mate them with the Starlifter wing and engines in place of the Britannia ones to create a better performance strategic lifter.

Drawings and details can be found in Project Cancelled by Derek Wood.

Archibald

It was for the ASR-364 requirement. There's a good website with all british requirement, engines, missiles, A-bombs etc. Search "Skomer" on google or "F155T "
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mike Wren

do I hear a Welsh Models 1/144 Belfast & an Airfix DC-10 wing calling me...?  :D  might well be the one I do for the vac form GB...

kitnut617

Hi guys,  I've just finished reading a really fantastic book called (edit) Project Cancelled by Derek Wood.

There's a section (chapter) all about the RAF requirement for a medium/heavy transport lifter.  One suggestion came from Shorts which would have married a Belfast fuselage with the wings and tail from a C-141 (I kid you not).

Now I have a 1/72 Belfast, made by Magna Models.  It's a very large model about the same size as the 1/72 DC-10 I have, and recently I read there's a kit of the C-141 in 1/72 about too.  

The gears are begining to work overtime here :blink:  :wacko:

Cheers,  Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

philp

Interesting idea.  Good luck.

The only 72nd 141 I know of is the old Novo vacuform.  These are pretty rare.  Seen lots of posts from people saying they would like to see a new kit and maybe Trumpeter will come through but haven't heard of an injected kit yet.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Geoff_B

Quoteah ha he has discovered the true bible of the IPMS(UK) What if? SIG.
so martin! those useful books by tony buttler don't count then?  :unsure:  :D
Tonys book came about after the SIG Trev, Project Cancelled is the key trigger for many of us and what might have been......

Combat Models do the C-141 Rob see Rosemont Hobbies for a full list.

Jeffry Fontaine

Combat Models 1/72nd scale C-141A Starlifter is still available from Rosemont Hobby under the following nomenclature and description: RMCM - 72-031 - C-141A Starlifter - $39.95
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Martin H

ok. 40 dollers for the wing doner kit and then a whopping 100 quid for the Belfast, no cheap build this one.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Mike Wren

well, having even less space than I do money mine will be in 1/144 scale...

I think I'll be doing the new rear fuselage in balsa & will probably use the wing of a DC-10 or TriStar

Mossie

The Short Belfast has to be very whiffable.  Only ten built for the RAF out of thirty ordered, retired early (& not because it wasn't an excellent aircraft in it's own right) then seeing limited civil service in the outsize cargo market.

So lets say more Belfast's where built & went into worldwide service in both military & civil versions.  Who would have bought it & what roles might it have filled?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

SPINNERS

It was a most handsome aeroplane wasn't it?

How about Saudi Arabia and Kuwait and whoever else the UK were exporting military aircraft to? (A free Lightning with every Belfast ordered :rolleyes:).

Archibald

Give me some for the AdA instead of bloody Transalls.
UK can licence-build Br.941s in exchange for that.
What about an Arianespace or Airbus machine instead of Guppys / Belugas ?

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

Quote from: Archibald on May 20, 2008, 06:04:17 AM
Give me some for the AdA instead of bloody Transalls.
UK can licence-build Br.941s in exchange for that.
What about an Arianespace or Airbus machine instead of Guppys / Belugas ?

I can see that Archie, a British company allowed to develop the Br-941 much like McDonnel Douglas was looking to do with the MD118, in return for Brequet, Sud or Nord to develop the Belfast.

A guppy version would be a nice idea, but I don't think the high wing would have allowed for that kind of extension?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

MAD

Quote from: Mossie on May 20, 2008, 03:42:03 AM
The Short Belfast has to be very whiffable.  Only ten built for the RAF out of thirty ordered, retired early (& not because it wasn't an excellent aircraft in it's own right) then seeing limited civil service in the outsize cargo market.

So lets say more Belfast's where built & went into worldwide service in both military & civil versions.  Who would have bought it & what roles might it have filled?

The Australian Military as a whole could have done with the capability of the Belfast, especially when one considers its superior internal volume and dimensions when compared to that of the venerable Hercules!
The Belfast would have been a very valuable asset in and during our involvement in Vietnam!!!!!

And if we kept the likes of the Belfast in service, like we have the Hercules – then it would have come in very handy during the East Timor crisis!!
(Avoiding such a ridicules and heavy reliance on civilian charter An-124's)
With it eventually being replaced by the C-17A!

Yes a Belfast in RAAF colours would be great

M.A.D