Shorts Belfast

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 29, 2006, 05:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Thorvic on March 27, 2015, 06:28:32 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2015, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: DarrenP2 on March 27, 2015, 05:01:48 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2015, 01:59:30 AM
There's a tale of a 47 Sqdn Beverley that dropped a Landie and a light gun, the one with the curved trail tubes, which had a main chute failure over Salisbury Plain. The gun went out of the door barrel first and went into the ground in the same alignment, whereupon it stuck there with the rest of the weapon suspended in mid-air! The Landie ended up somewhat flat apparently.....

beverley and lightgun weren't in service at same time

What sort of gun could it have been? I can't find any pics of it or it might have been easier to identify it.

Sounds like the light 105mm gun

I looked that up, that'd be the L118, right?

It looks like the pic I saw but as DarrenP2 says it wasn't in service by the time the Bev was out of service. Sounds like someone got the pic caption wrong.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DarrenP2

Airborne regiments guns round the time would have been the M56(l5) pack howitizer

dadlamassu

The Beverley was out of service by the time the L118 Light Gun came into service.

In the 60s the Airborne & Para artillery had the OTO Melara M56 Pack Howitzer

DarrenP2

have heard of 25 pounders being used for underslung load training as there were allot of them about could AD school have been using those for training loads on MSP

dadlamassu

No underslung loads on a Beverley  ;D

However, I have found a number of photos taken at the Army Airborne Transport Development Centre (AATDC) at Old Sarum.  The AATDC did use Beverleys so it is possible that one of these may have been the gun in question.

Beverley

17 pdr

25 pdr

DarrenP2

interesting 17 & 25 both on msp's

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dadlamassu on March 28, 2015, 03:50:31 AM
The Beverley was out of service by the time the L118 Light Gun came into service.

In the 60s the Airborne & Para artillery had the OTO Melara M56 Pack Howitzer

Yes, DarrenP2 said that about the service periods some posts ago.

I think the one in the pic I remember may have been a 17 pdr looking at the pics you posted later. The period of my 'incident' was in the 50s anyway, when 47 Sqdn. were still working up the Bev. My Dad was on TCTDF )Transport Command Training and Development Flight) at the time, based at Abingdon and later at Benson, and although they had Yorks (the last ones in RAF service) Hastings and Valettas, they 'borrowed' Bevs from 47 for any work they did with them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit