Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

Why did japanese aircraft have brown propellor blades?

And whats up with the crappy paint?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

jcf

QuoteWhy did japanese aircraft have brown propellor blades?

And whats up with the crappy paint?
Better to ask why did some countries paint them black? The answer is the same in both cases.

Japanese paint was no worse than any other WWII combatants and was better than Soviet paint, the extreme wear seen on IJN land-based bombers and on many IJA aircraft is more a matter of how it was applied rather than what it was, coupled with a lack of time or capability for field maintenance.  In many cases the paint was field applied directly to the bare aluminum with minimum or no prep and no priming. IJA aircraft in particular were usually in the field until they were either lost in combat or became unserviceable due to wear and tear...they did not have the capability to set up the maintenance and refurbishment depots of the sort that were common with the US and Commonwealth air forces. Keeping the paint pretty was the least of concerns for the Japanese.

IJN carried based aircraft came very well finished from the factory with well-prepped surfaces, red-brown anti-corrosive primer and phenolic lacquer topcoats, originally grey-green overall the later aircraft also had a dark-green applied to the upper surfaces. Ditto the factory painted IJA aircraft.
The Mitsubishi Dinah in particular had a very high level of finish quality.

US Olive Drab was actually one of the crappiest paints of the war as it colour-shifted and chalked quickly and was very prone to contact wear. US Navy GSB was one of the best.

Cheers, Jon

nev

Why do we pronounce Lieutenant Leftenant?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

QuoteWhy do we pronounce Lieutenant Leftenant?
Because we do!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

NARSES2

Because we do!
Because we're English and it's our language so we can do what we want with it, besides it confuses the natives  :P  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Archibald

Remember Goldorak ? (hope this awful Japanese picture found its way in GB, US and others countries represented here ;) )
Why Arcturus'seat turn two time during the transfers from the "Flying" position to the "combat" position ?  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Shasper

Because we do!
Because we're English and it's our language so we can do what we want with it, besides it confuses the natives  :P
Why dop you think we got rid of the accent? :lol:

Ok I got one, Why are women so F'n complicated?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

nev

Because we do!
But I would imagine the origin of the word is French.....

@ Shas, you think we know the answer to that!!??!!  :wacko:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Shasper

Well, I wasnt asking for an explanation.

Here's one that aint difficult, Why are Tamigawa kits more expensive?

Shas B)
- Bud S.

Aircav

QuoteOk I got one, Why are women so F'n complicated?

Shas B)
Cos they are  ;)  :D  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Captain Canada

Probably for the same reason that we pronounce Colonel Kernal !

:wacko:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

I did find it quite funny down there in Teyhas that if you are addressing one person, it's " Y'all ", but if you are addressing a crowd, it's " All y'all ".

Crazy.....

And they're always fixin' to do something down there.......

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Shasper

Hey, thats my country yer badjabbin about!  :angry:

Besides, you want to get confused? Go into the inner city 'hood and let the kind Brothas educate you in proper pronounciation. ;)

Final question, What is Trafalgar?

Shas B)
- Bud S.

Ollie

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader