Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

Ok then why do my farts smell wonderful and everybody elses smell like ..well...crap?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Son of Damian

QuoteWhy are the hulls of ships always painted red??? :huh:
Its not the hulls that are always painted red,but what they call the boot topping. In betwen the boot topping and the hull is usually a strip of "anti fowling".

Depending on the marine paint manufacturer "boot topping is either  dark red or black,the anti fowling comes in many forms and depends usually on the "house" colours of the shipping company.

Both finishes tend to be gloss so as not to restrict speed. Red oxide,tends to be used on upper surfaces ( it has a flat finish)and apart from a few ore carriers  is usually painted over in the " house" colours.

THe hull colour usually finishes just below the plimsol line,so in general you could say that the anti fowling and boot topping are the paints below the water line when the ship is loaded to her marks. :ar:  :ar:
Then why are only the bottoms of nuclear submarines painted red if they spend 99% of there under water???  :huh:  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Nick

What is the difference between a Su-35 and a Su-37?

Dragon sell a very nice boxed pair in 1/144 but both kits look the same...

Nick B)  

RP1

" Then why are only the bottoms of nuclear submarines painted red if they spend 99% of there under water???"

Depends on the submarine.  Uk and Russian subs are black because they are coated in rubber tiles to reduce passive and active sonar signatures.  More recent USN boats have a similar coating, so they are also black or grey.

Older boats were painted red for the reasons outlined above, and the upper surfaces were treated with a different coating to improve the footing of any crew on deck (something that boots stick to but water doesn't, presumably).  

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

Iranian F-14A

The difference between the Su-35 and the Su-37 is that the Su-37 has thrust vectoring nozzles on the engines,whereas the Su-35 does not.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

gooberliberation

QuoteWhat is the difference between a Su-35 and a Su-37?

Dragon sell a very nice boxed pair in 1/144 but both kits look the same...

Nick B)
The Su-35 is basically an uprated -27 but with canards, better radar, improved avionics, composite materials, square tailfins, some reduced RCS, rear-facing radar, and a few other improvments.

The Su-37 has additional goodies such as thrust vectoring and hands-on-throttle-and-stick controls.

..I think :blink:

[whoops, i posted too soon. basically yeah, thrust vectoring.]
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Leigh

Why is Brian daB drinking RC Cola for breakfast?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

elmayerle

QuoteWhy is Brian daB drinking RC Cola for breakfast?
Because he doesn't need the extra kick of Jolt Cola?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Brian da Basher

Because I ran out of Milo!

Actually it was too hot for coffee.

And my coffee maker doesn't have spats. :(

Brian da Basher

retro_seventies

QuoteAnd my coffee maker doesn't have spats.

comedy genius - i could almost hear the sad...nay, baleful tone in your voice.
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Shasper

Why a lift fan instead of the direct-lift ptinciple?

shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

kitnut617

QuoteOn WWII a/c, do cannon-armed (as opposed to machine gunned) fighters with wing-mounted guns always have ejector ports for the spent brass casings in the lower wing?

And with propeller-spinner mounted cannon, where do the spent shells go?

I know weight is always an issue but did any WWII a/c have any kind of inner wing collection pot to retain empty brass casings?  I know they'd be pretty hot when first ejected but most metals were quite valuable during the war.
Reading through this thread, no one really answered your question, on a P-39/P-63 the nose cannon casings were collected, a 37mm casing is quite big and would certainly damage the aircraft as it was ejected.  In photos of restored P-39's the complete shell/casing was stored on a metal loop and after firing the empty casing was put back into the loop.  It didn't hold very many rounds though.  I would also think that these were retained to keep some weight in the nose as there would be quite a cg shift once the rounds were expended.

:cheers: Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

elmayerle

QuoteWhy a lift fan instead of the direct-lift ptinciple?
Lower ground impact from the exhaust and and easier to package installation.  Think of it as a limited-condition version of Vought's "tandem fan" concept.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

In the current (for west side of the pond) issue of Model Airplane International, Ian Ruscoe's article about his Academy CH-53E build is entitled "Wild Horse*" and there is an esoteric (to me) footnote about "*Apologies for such a boring title but there was  no way we were going to use the type's nickname in print.  All CH-53 crews will know what we mean!"

Personally, I have no clue what nickname he's talking about and have not found one on the 'net.  If it's a genuinely c/rude nickname, feel free to PM me so it doesn't end up being posted on this family-accessible website.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

as far as i can remember, that would be "the super shitter" Barry.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.