Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

Is it just me or does the Fiat G91 look a lot like the F-86 sabre? Do the two designs have anything in common?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

GTX

Hi folks,

How could any discussion regarding collection of aircraft cannon cartridge cases go so long without a mention of "Sabrina's"?  

For those not in the know, the early Hawker Hunter suffered from spent cartridges from the cannon damaging the rear fuselage. This problem was solved by simply adding two bulged fairings to collect the spent cartridge cases. In squadron service these were named Sabrina's after the popular starlet of the day.  

Interestingly, the some Swiss Hunters had enlarged fairings. Here are some pictures:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

QuoteThe F-35 JSF cannot do this type of take off, nor does it have any form of TVC like the F-22, It can only point its nozzle straight down for vertical landings, thats it. Of course the F-35 A and C cannot even do this, the jet nozzle on those is firmly fixed. Regarding vertical take offs, this is only possible at minimal fuel loads and with no weapons carried, so basically never then.

The X-35B has demonstrated VTO but of course this is much lighter than the F-35 and carried no weapons either.

It could perform STO by utilising the lift fan but the main nozzle would not move.
The way the main nozzle moves, short rolling takeoffs aren't impossible.  I'm not at all familiar enough with the control laws to know if it's set up for those, though.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

Is/was there any operational combat fighter which had both probe and drogue as well as the receptacle for the boom-style in-flight refueling system on the same aircraft?

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Daryl J.

Why is it if one builds a Me-109B/C with a fixed gear, spats, and a suprious paint scheme

and

takes the time to make the kit first rate

and

posts it online

many get bent out of shape?  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

:cheers:
Daryl J.

gooberliberation

Someone on the board told me that many USAF aircraft in the vietnam war had both.
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

elmayerle

QuoteIs/was there any operational combat fighter which had both probe and drogue as well as the receptacle for the boom-style in-flight refueling system on the same aircraft?
F-105 for certain.  Not sure if there were any others.

Lord Darth Beavis

I think the Gina is a development of the basic Sabre design.

Regarding the spent shells, M61 pods do not have a recovery system for spent brass, so not only do you get shot up by the gun, after the pass, you get bombed by empty casings!

And now for the Question of Ultimate Destruction:

Why do hotdogs come i packs of 10, but hotdog buns come in packs of 8? :dum:  
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

elmayerle

As any veteran of using committee-developed software can tell, the two development teams never talked with one another, they just assumed that their approach was the only one folks would use.

Hatchet

QuoteI think the Gina is a development of the basic Sabre design.

Regarding the spent shells, M61 pods do not have a recovery system for spent brass, so not only do you get shot up by the gun, after the pass, you get bombed by empty casings!

And now for the Question of Ultimate Destruction:

Why do hotdogs come i packs of 10, but hotdog buns come in packs of 8? :dum:
To make you buy 4 packs of hotdogs and 5 of buns. Or because they know that many people will eat a 'cold' hotdog (if that's not a contradiction in terms) while waiting for the others to heat up - two for me, none for you.

:cheers:

gooberliberation

It still bogles my mind though, no resource I've found yet says any connection between the planes.

It looks too much like a two-engined, scaled down sabre-dog. Did fiat ever license-build F-86s?

lancer

QuoteWhy do hotdogs come i packs of 10, but hotdog buns come in packs of 8? :dum:
So some greedy git can hae 2 dogs in his bun..... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

jcf

It still bogles my mind though, no resource I've found yet says any connection between the planes.

It looks too much like a two-engined, scaled down sabre-dog. Did fiat ever license-build F-86s?
FIAT built F-86Ks for the Italians and Germans and while the Gina's appearance and basic aerodynamics were heavily influenced by the F-86...it is not a "development" of the F-86.
Only the G-91Y is twin-engined, the other models are single-engined.

Cheers, Jon

gooberliberation

Son of Damian

Why do aircraft that aren't carrier capable have tailhooks??? Like F-16, F-104, F-5, F-15 etc.
:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt