Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Why when we now call Peking, Beijing do airline luggage labels still read "PEK" ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

QuoteWhy when we now call Peking, Beijing do airline luggage labels still read "PEK" ?
Because the International Air Transport Association(IATA) never updated the Airport Code.

Cheers, Jon

John Howling Mouse

Many people on this site have referenced the term "Raspberry Ripple" for UK-based aircraft paintschemes which are red, white and blue.  I thought this might be based on some kind of ice cream flavour that we just don't get over here.

Is this the case?  Raspberry, vanilla and (yikes!) blueberry?

:dum:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Nope, Raspberry Ripple ice cream is just raspberry & vanilla.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

And very nice it is too!  In answer to your next question(???):

I'm fairly sure the name Rasberry Ripple came from the the red & white aircraft of the A&AEE & RAF Institute of Aviation Medicine, when the RAE adopted a similar scheme but with blue added, the name stuck.

&

=

Sort of!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

John Howling Mouse

mmmm...ice cream....

nice aircraft livery though, too.

thanks!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

gooberliberation

What's the difference between combat radius and range?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Hobbes

Combat radius is the range when flying as you'd do in combat, i.e. at high speed, with lots of maneuvering. 'Range', aka ferry range is when flying straight and level, at an economical height and speed.  

nev

Range is how far you can fly one way, radius is there and back.  

Combat radius also takes into account carrying weapons etc and used to be based upon a hi-lo-hi flight profile, or included including a supersonic dash.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

B777LR

Why does the International Air Transport Association(IATA) never updated the Airport Code?

nev

Because Aviation is the most heavily regulated industry in the world?  

I work in the 2nd most regulated (pharmaceuticals) and changing anything, no matter how trivial, is usually more effort than its actually worth.  So you carry on doing things the old/incorrect/out-of-date/inefficient way.

Shasper

So Y cant the FAA make the FARs easy to understand?

Shas  B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

jcf

QuoteBecause Aviation is the most heavily regulated industry in the world? 

I work in the 2nd most regulated (pharmaceuticals) and changing anything, no matter how trivial, is usually more effort than its actually worth.  So you carry on doing things the old/incorrect/out-of-date/inefficient way.
Well seeing as the IATA is a private industry group that argument doesn't really hold water, far more likely that the member carriers complained, back when pinyin spelling was made "official", that it would be "too expensive" to change all their documentation. Thats the usual refrain from all industry when change is suggested.

Big business tends to be inefficient all by itself.

Nick

How does the mobile phone aka cellphone setup work across the USA and Canada?

Do you sign up with a service provider who then guarantee you coverage in all the majorly populated parts of the continent or do you just sign up locally and then have to extend your coverage if you go out of state etc?

Or do the phone firms have roaming agreements which let you travel anywhere but charge more for calls in some areas?

Are the bills calculated by the minute or what?

Satellite cover or lots of towers?

Nick B)  

Shasper

Towers, LOTS of Towers!

Bills are by the minute, and most providers have free calls between people who have the same mobile provider.

Roaming charges DO exist, but for the most part they're on the downside as a good chunk of the States are covered bt everyone.

THats all I can answer. Back to Ron in the newsroom......

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.