Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

You have to see Borat, mister boeing-san!  :lol:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

B777LR

QuoteYou have to see Borat, mister boeing-san!  :lol:
Is it fun? If it is, why has the russian goverment banned it?  

Archibald

Fun in the sense of south Park or Jackass (very trash). nothing surprising to that, productor is actually Jay Roach, "father" of Austin Powers if I remember well...

Hmmm the russian governement has a very classical, stupid reaction toward this film.

I don't know for Russia, but Borat come from Kazahkstan and this country is not  depicted as atractive or sympathic (to say the least! :lol: ) in the movie.

But well, the USAs are not well depicted, too, and the film was not banned there. Go watch the movie, and you'll understand what I mean...  ;)  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Mossie

I haven't seen Borat yet either, hope to on Saturday.

Depending on which source you read, it hasn't been 'officially' banned.  The Russian film licensing authorities have told the distributors that they probably wouldn't grant it a licence after seeing a pre production copy, because it "could be offensive to various nationalities & religions".  The distributors haven't applied since the statement was made, so it's not 'banned' as such, although it probably would be if an application was made.  Splitting hairs really.

See: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13...2445659,00.html

Everyone I know that has seen it say's it's hilarious, even if it they didn't think it would be the kind of film they would like.  I'm sure it could be offensive to many, but the intention is to make the targets & their prejudices look ridiculous rather than the Khazakstani's.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Aircav

Can I mix 1/87 (HO) railway rolling stock with 1/72 (00) figures and vehicles and it not stand out to much as two different scales?
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Shasper

No.

Why does some spray paints dry faster than others?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

NARSES2

QuoteCan I mix 1/87 (HO) railway rolling stock with 1/72 (00) figures and vehicles and it not stand out to much as two different scales?
Providing you keep the rolling stock to one scale and the figures/vehicles to another you might get away with HO rolling stock and OO figures and vehicles Steve - if you try and mix HO/OO figures or vehicles then you'll have the proverbial "sore thumb". 1/72 scale might just be pushing it ? Figures might be ok but vehicles ?

When the origional "Airfix" figures came out they were marked up as HO/OO range and figure heights were about 15/18mm (I still remember painting the Guards set as Confederate Infantry  :) ) The origional figures were nearer to 1/87 then 1/76 and when latter sets came out they looked a bit small

Figure scale is a pain in the proverbial - 25mm figures range from 23mm to 30mm  :blink: Depends on if you include the base, measure to the eye line or what !
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

B777LR

In military modeling, what does HO/OO mean?

B777LR

-does Mikoyan Gurevich build their aircraft themselfs? Or do they do like Sukhoi and get a factory to build them?

Hobbes

Quote-does Mikoyan Gurevich build their aircraft themselfs? Or do they do like Sukhoi and get a factory to build them?

MiG is a design bureau just like Sukhoi.

B777LR

Quote-does Mikoyan Gurevich build their aircraft themselfs? Or do they do like Sukhoi and get a factory to build them?

MiG is a design bureau just like Sukhoi.
Thanks!

Now for next question: why is it that russia has so many design bureaus, when the west has practically none? (for aircraft that is)

Archibald

Simply because they didn't give a damn about having a SANE economy (for example by limiting weapon budget) until this led them to collapse...  

Aircav

QuoteIn military modeling, what does HO/OO mean?
HO or 1/87 works out at 3.5mm to 1 scale foot and OO or 1/76 is 4.01mm to 1 scale foot, HO and OO is what the railway lot call it.
Hope this helps
Steve

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Aircav

Thanks Chris
I was thinking about it lastnight and I may do the whole diorama in 1/87 if I can get some Roco vehicles  ;)  :D  

Sir Sydney Camm

Leigh

In case anyone was wondering the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vc is the old Vb with a newly tooled wing included aswell, kinda like the 1/48 version, went out and bought one in order to get that question answered. <_<  

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models