Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Whats a good excuse for not doing your homework? :P  

The Cat a.k.a Meowbag

I used to go with 'I can't be arsed' or 'I'll do it later', but something along the lines of 'it hasn't got to be in until <insert some date in the future> so I'll do it later' was always a good one  :ph34r:  

RLBH

QuoteWhats a good excuse for not doing your homework? :P
Swear blind it isn't due until some date in the future - next week is probably best. If possible get the rest of the class to swear blind that it's due on the same date as you, but if you all say different dates it doesn't work.

The year before last, my Chemistry class successfully delayed the deadline several weeks using this method. It helped that the teacher would forget his head if it weren't attached.

retro_seventies

i'm right here if you want some, you slags.

i'm the king of sting, the master of disaster, the count of montefisto.

:ph34r:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

gooberliberation

Why do relatively few 1940s US warplanes have autocannons, compared to designs from other countries?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

lancer

Quotei'm right here if you want some, you slags.

i'm the king of sting, the master of disaster, the count of montefisto.

Yeah right, one wiff of a pork pie and you'll be on yer knees begging... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Shasper

Why has Thor gotten bent outta shape here lately? 2 threads that went from dark to white meat, then the lockdown? jeez..... :mellow:

Shas B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

retro_seventies

Quoteone wiff of a pork pie and you'll be on yer knees begging

that is as may be.

superman is the man of steel, and yet he is laid low by nothing more than a green rock.  PAH to green rocks - real men are affected by lumps of pork in greasy pastry...at least that's worth getting worked up over.

anyway, enough of the smalltalk, you dogs.

i've had a couple of drinks and somebody's walking out of here with their teeth in my pocket and my boot up their jacksy.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

anthonyp

QuoteWhy has Thor gotten bent outta shape here lately? 2 threads that went from dark to white meat, then the lockdown? jeez..... :mellow:

Shas B)
It comes from members not paying attention to the rules of the forum.

I actually agree with him on both those threads, and can see why he's getting bent out of shape.  I mean, I'm getting bent out of shape too!  I'd go even further and do some truly mean moderator-esque stuff, but I'm rather dictatorial in my adminning of message boards.

People don't pay attention to the rules unless there is active enforcement (ie, shaking the virtual index finger at them, locking threads, and, in extreme cases, punishment by banning).  Hell, there are still people breaking the rules on this board in a minor way (banners in their sigs), let alone posters who bring up subjects that are verboten by the rules.

All things add to a moderator's headache (I used to mod my own bulletin board... I closed it down, big headache keeping the posters within the (rather generous) rules of the FREE Bboard as I laid them out).  And when a mod's headache exceeds his acceptable threshold (somewhere between pounding and "Why-do-I-keep-reading-this-venom?!" for me), things get locked and users are reminded of the rules, so as to not alienate the silent majority who actually read the site.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

elmayerle

QuoteWhy do relatively few 1940s US warplanes have autocannons, compared to designs from other countries?
Well, for some reason they were convinced that the basic Browning machine gun design wouldn't scale up to autocannon calibers, like 20mm.  That's part of it, the remainder, I suspect, is an institutional tendency to see combat aircraft in ground-support roles.  Remember, the cannon-armed Mustangs were British-orderd, not US.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Shasper

I'll agree with you Comrad Antoly, I guess I just dont see where (except in the first part of each post) the problem 'got out of hand' ( looked like the HS thread went from bashing to an explanation of why we post here instead of somewhere else to how great it is here, y'know). Guess I'm still buzzy from this wkend (or maybe it's the soap? :wacko: )

anyway, "Why do hot chicks keep hitting on me?"

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Son of Damian

^^^
Thats YOU!!! :o  Oh, My, God!!! My Eyes!!! My Eyes!!! :P  :P  :P

QuoteWhy do relatively few 1940s US warplanes have autocannons, compared to designs from other countries?

I would also imagine that because the 50 cal had been in production since the 20's and had been incorperated into several pre-war designs. Though mainly I figure that its punch was like a cannon yet it's smaller shell size allowed more rounds to be carried than cannon shells.
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

jcf

Because most US fighters were designed as fighters, not interceptors...in other words the intent was fighter-vs-fighter combat not bomber-interception.

There are also very valid ballistic reasons for sticking to a single caliber...4 to 8 heavy machine guns can all be set to have their fire converge on a single point, you cannot do that with mixed caliber armament.

If the Germans or Japanese had been able to field a credible heavy bomber force then its very likely that cannon would have become more common on US aircraft...as it was they were not really needed for air-to-air combat, the massed fifties being quite capable of throwing enough weight on target.

Cheers, Jon

Son of Damian

QuoteThere are also very valid ballistic reasons for sticking to a single caliber...4 to 8 heavy machine guns can all be set to have their fire converge on a single point, you cannot do that with mixed caliber armament.

What about the P-38, weren't the 4 50 cals and one 20mm all sighted to strike a single point?
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Nick

Why does the RAF have so many Reserve squadrons? There seem to be more Reserve than actual squadrons?

Why is this and what do they do?

Nick B)

P.S. You can blame Nev for this one!