Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennings

QuoteOn the '163, the pilot wouldn't need a relief tube 'cause...
... 'Cause on takeoff he had the poo-poo and the piss scared right out of him :)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Lord Darth Beavis

Why do hotdogs come in packs of 10, but hotdog buns come in packs of 8? :dum:  
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

Joe C-P

QuoteWhy do hotdogs come in packs of 10, but hotdog buns come in packs of 8? :dum:
Look back earlier in this very thread.  ^_^

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Shasper

Why is the AF JSF the only one w/a internal gun?

Why is the american JSF going to sport a 27mm weapon?

Why did they have to add VTOL to the JSF?

Why is the USAF on this gawd-awful stealth kick?

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Son of Damian

QuoteWhy is the AF JSF the only one w/a internal gun?

Why did they have to add VTOL to the JSF?

Why is the USAF on this gawd-awful stealth kick?

Because they really learned nothing from Vietnam. :dum:

Normal American ingenuity.

Cuz the marines get all horny when they hear VTOL.

Becuase they licked the RAM on the F-117 one too many times.
:P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Scooterman

Cuz the marines get all horny when they hear VTOL.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
ROTFLMAO!!!

John Howling Mouse

QuoteWhy are radomes usually painted a single neutral color that doesnt necissarily match the camoflage?
(i.e black, gray...)
This one's easy -- it's dielectric (read EM-transparent) paint. Often the formulations are different than the camo applied to the rest of the aircraft, hence different weathering rates and differences in color. At one time all dielectric paint had a base of carbon black -- hence the black colour.
This is very interesting.  Having seen many radomes with stencils stating "DO NOT PAINT" I had always assumed the radomes were not painted with anything at all and what we saw for the radome (grey, tan or flat black) was merely the color of the unpainted fiberglass itself.

So, do the painted radomes, being at the very front of the aircraft, become weathered?  I've always purposely avoided weathering the radomes due to my assumption above.

Now, I'm confused (again).

:wacko:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

rallymodeller

Well, right. When you see "Do Not Paint" it is raw fiberglass. The color in that case comes from the resin or gelcoat from the mold.  Heck, the ESM blisters on CF-104's even said "Do Not Handle"...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

elmayerle

QuoteWhy is the AF JSF the only one w/a internal gun?

Well, it's a matter of weight, not just of the gun installation but from the loads it imposes on the surrounding structure.  Only the USAF wanted to pay the penalty of a full-time internal gun.  The USMC and USN went with an external pod on a dedicated hardpoint for when they wish to mount a gun.

It's a 25mm gun, a derivative of the AV-8B's.  The only 27mm gun considered was that from the Tornado and Typhoon and the costs of designing for two different guns weren't worth it.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Lord Darth Beavis

QuoteWhy do hotdogs come in packs of 10, but hotdog buns come in packs of 8? :dum:
Look back earlier in this very thread.  ^_^

JoeP
Thanks, Joe...somehow I managed to overlook the replies.  Could someone pass me my white cane and seeing-eye dog? :lol:  
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

gooberliberation

A couple russian aviation questions for me.

Whats the deal with those notched tailfins on mig-29s and most flankers? Besides the fact that they just look cool.

If Josef Stalin was all anal about jet fighters that look like Me 262 copies(there's at least 4 i know of, including the Su-9 above), why was he all gung-ho about copying the B-29?

(suddenly realizing how cool an Avia s.92 would look in VVS markings :wub: )
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Jeffry Fontaine

QuoteIs/was there any operational combat fighter which had both probe and drogue as well as the receptacle for the boom-style in-flight refueling system on the same aircraft?
The F-105 was equipped with both types of refueling systems.  The more obviouls receptacle and just beneath it on the left side was the retractable IFR probe.  Other USAF aircraft that were equipped in a similar fashion were the F-84 which had the receptacle fitted on the left wing near the fuselage and it was fitted with drop tanks that had the IFR probe built into the nose of the tank.  The US Navy did something similar with the F4D Skyray and fitted the IFR probe to one of the fuel tanks.  Not sure of any other aircraft that were actually produced with both IFR probes and receptacles.    
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Jeffry Fontaine

The Mosquito had both.  Spent cartridges and links for the 20mm cannon shells were ejected while the .303 cartridges and links were collected in a space beneath the gun magazines and emptied out after returning to base.  I beleive this was done due to the close proximity of the cannon muzzles and not wanting to possible foul the barrel with brass or links which could have led to an obvious disaster.  

On the B-25 the spent brass and links from the eight machine guns in the nose of the B-25 strafer version were collected beneath the weapon and then emptied after the aircraft returned from the mission.  While the gun packs on the side of the aircraft ejected cartridges and links.  I beleive in this case it was to prevent a center of balance issue with the aircraft.  

Other aircraft also retained the spent cartridges and links because of the problem with the metal pieces bouncing off of the aircraft skin after becoming high velocity debris when ejected into the airstream.  I believe that was one of the reasons for the "Sabrinas" on the Hawker Hunter.  While the enlarged "Sabrinas"on the Swiss Air Force Hunter are there because of the chaff/flare ejectors that have been fitted to the rear section of each fairing.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

QuoteWhile the enlarged "Sabrinas"on the Swiss Air Force Hunter are there because of the chaff/flare ejectors that have been fitted to the rear section of each fairing.

And here I was thinking it was because the Swiss had dirtier minds :lol:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

gooberliberation

What the hell?

As seen in the hills east of Fremont, CA

A near 1/1 scale airplane mockup, but made out of metal mesh over a frame..... and of course upside down. It looks like it has some purpose(as opposed to avant-garde art), and I'm sure all those antennas have something to do with it, but aside from that, I'm clueless.

And why upside-down??
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.