Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

Thanks Jon,
That's cleared that up. Who would have imagined it-an automatic lathe to make a rifle stock. I had visions of lots of people painstakingly cutting them out of wood, planing them and then slapping on a coat of varnish.
Allan in Canberra

Leigh

Could the Mirage IV have been a viable alternative to the F-111K's that never showed up as the TSR.2 replacement?
Ie: an R.A.F. with no Phantoms but Mirages and Crusaders instead?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Geoff_B

QuoteCould the Mirage IV have been a viable alternative to the F-111K's that never showed up as the TSR.2 replacement?
Ie: an R.A.F. with no Phantoms but Mirages and Crusaders instead?
Dassault & BAC offered upto 300 Spey Powered Mirage IVK as an alternative to the F-111K when it was expected that they would be bought on a 1-1 basis. Unfortunately although the pilots loved test flying the Mirage the top brass wanted the next best thing after the TSR2 so only the F-111K was selected. (See Sentinel Chickens post on RAF Mirage IVK).

The Mirage IVK would have had a lengthened fuselage forward of the wing to allow for the longer intakes and the depth of the fuselage was slightly increased. The Spey option offered a better cruise & range capability and would have likely incorporated some of the avionics developed for TSR2.

G

gooberliberation

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Big Chris

Put them on stamp up and down till ice breaks up :D  
Flying is like riding a bike only its harder to get the playing cards in the spokes

Radish

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
You can tell he's from Yorkshire :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

QuoteHow do de-icing boots work?
I believe they are essentially inflatable rubber bellows which, when inflated, expand just enough to force encrusted ice to fall away from their area.

As opposed to di-electric strips which heat up using electric current to de-ice their area.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Dork the kit slayer

QuoteHi fellows,
You know the AK-47? It has some wooden parts in it, notably the stock and some bits near the muzzle. Now, isn't that inefficient from the manuacturing point of view, because it means someone has to carve/plane the wood into shape and then sand it and give it a coat of varnish?
If it was all metal or plastic then it would be much easier to make.
Allan in Canberra
Wood was so much better for bashing someones head in  rather than plastic (M-16) that used to break.    Well thats what I was told by a Kiwi  infantyry sargent circa 1970 :o  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

dragon

AK-102 and AK-103.  No longer ye olde fashioned AK-47 nor AK-74.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

P1127

QuoteAre there any real  visible differences between an R.A.F. F-4 Phantom and an F-4S?
In a word, yes!

The new engines made the engine bays wider and , and the intakes were also wider to take account of the larger air flow of the Speys.

If you look at a Spey phantom the whole angle of the lower rear fuselage/engines is different.

Both RAF and FAA Phantoms were fitted with the RWR 'box' on top of the fin in the mid/late 70s, but this was done over a number of years, so you can see RN Phantoms with in in 1977, but RAF Phantoms without it as late as 1982.

You COULD make an RAF F-4J(UK) from an F-4S, but you'd need to remove/amend the l/e slat extensions on the outer wings as the RAF dind't use them.

Or you can remember this is What If and imagine the RAF had bought J79 engined Phantoms
It's not an effing  jump jet.

Son of Damian

Why are the hulls of ships always painted red??? :huh:  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Big Chris

I think its got somthing to do with it being a red oxide paint which inhibits rust.
Im probably wrong and someone will put me right.
Flying is like riding a bike only its harder to get the playing cards in the spokes

Dork the kit slayer

QuoteWhy are the hulls of ships always painted red??? :huh:
Its not the hulls that are always painted red,but what they call the boot topping. In betwen the boot topping and the hull is usually a strip of "anti fowling".

Depending on the marine paint manufacturer "boot topping is either  dark red or black,the anti fowling comes in many forms and depends usually on the "house" colours of the shipping company.

Both finishes tend to be gloss so as not to restrict speed. Red oxide,tends to be used on upper surfaces ( it has a flat finish)and apart from a few ore carriers  is usually painted over in the " house" colours.

THe hull colour usually finishes just below the plimsol line,so in general you could say that the anti fowling and boot topping are the paints below the water line when the ship is loaded to her marks. :ar:  :ar:

Big Chris

There you go I knew I would be wrong :rolleyes:  

Dork the kit slayer

Yer not wrong Big Chriss......just....nearly right :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: