Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guchi

QuoteWhats the deal with those notched tailfins on mig-29s and most flankers? Besides the fact that they just look cool.

It (the notching) is for structural strength.  It allowed the Russians to use less (quantity and quality) material and yet retain the same structural integrity.

Aircav

Why does the Horten Ho229 have such a large nose wheel ?
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

RP1

Dork, (Erm, may I call you Dork?)  you have that contrari-wise.  Boot topping used to refer to the process of anti-fouling in the days of sail, but now means the narrow band of a dark colour at the waterline.  the anti-fouling paint is the usually red material below that.  

It is not always red - the Castle class originally had an advanced scheme using blue paint.  Various colours exist for yachts etc.  I think it may have been red due to the materials used (Tin, now banned).

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

Leigh

QuoteWhy does the Horten Ho229 have such a large nose wheel ?
Yeah and where the hell does it go when it's up doesn't look like enough room under the cockpit to fit it.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

RP1

QUOTE (Aircav @ Jul 5 2006, 11:18 AM)
Why does the Horten Ho229 have such a large nose wheel ?

Yeah and where the hell does it go when it's up doesn't look like enough room under the cockpit to fit it.

- It just swings up aft of the cockpit, see the plans at:

http://www.albentley-drawings.com/horten_ho229.htm

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

gooberliberation

I think its huge because:

-It supports most of the aircraft's weight

-To give it a nose-up attitude for takeoff without heavier, longer nosegear leg

-Its the first wheel to hit the ground while landing, since its all-wingness makes it dangerous to go nose up past a certain point to land.

-Some gliders have a single large wheel and outriggers, dont they? The Hortens made gliders and mabye they like that scheme

-Didnt it come off a different airplane, like an He 177? Perhaps production models wouldve had a different wheel.

(Total guesstimations. I'm no engineer)
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Dork the kit slayer

QuoteDork, (Erm, may I call you Dork?)  you have that contrari-wise.
Yes you are quite correct...I got it arse about face in my rush to display my feathers.......DUH :(  
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

jcf

QuoteDork, (Erm, may I call you Dork?)  you have that contrari-wise.  Boot topping used to refer to the process of anti-fouling in the days of sail, but now means the narrow band of a dark colour at the waterline.  the anti-fouling paint is the usually red material below that. 

It is not always red - the Castle class originally had an advanced scheme using blue paint.  Various colours exist for yachts etc.  I think it may have been red due to the materials used (Tin, now banned).

RP1
Yep, red lead primer, white zinc and copper based anti-fouling paint in the old days. Tin anti-fouling compounds didn't start showing up until the 1960s.
This is  fun;
USCG Painting Regs from 1916
calls out green copper paint for the anti-fouling compound.
and Lightship painting instructions
Lightship

Cheers, Jon

Eddie M.

Okay, here's one that would sure get me laughed off some boards. How many versions are there of the BF-109 and FW-190? I like the design of both A/C, but not enough to know them all. :)
    Eddie  
Look behind you!

gooberliberation

QuoteOkay, here's one that would sure get me laughed off some boards. How many versions are there of the BF-109 and FW-190? I like the design of both A/C, but not enough to know them all. :)
     Eddie
Imma take a crack at the messerchmitt, according to vectorsite.net(of course, credibility goes out the window since he hyphens german designations i e ME-109 :P )...

Bf/Me 109:
Prototypes: Highest number I see is V54, so id say 54 prototypes. Unfortunately every time Willy's folks tried something new, weither its a new engine or a different shade of paint, it gets its own designation.

A series:(first prototypes count as A)

B: 1(?)

C: 4, 3 if you dont count experimentals.

D: 3

E: 8, although the number goes up to E-9

F: 5

G: 13, but goes up to G-16 at least

H: 2, i dont think they were production tho

K: 7 but goes up to K-14

S: Never built

T: Three, one variant sort of produced T-0's were converted to T-3

TL: None built

Z: One prototype

Me 209: 1. not really related though

Me 209-II: Abanonded super-G series

Me 309: Prototypes only?

Me 609: None built

Avia S.99 and related: Three?

Hispano variants: 5?

Thats all i could find so far... feel free to add that up any way you like :lol:  
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

gooberliberation

And here comes the FWs...

Prototypes: 3, goes up to V5, but there's gotta be way more than that

A: 11 including A-0 and 2 prototypes

B: Various prototypes

C: One, experimental

D: 2 listed, D-0 and D-9. However I'm sure D-11 and D-12 exists...

F: Five, including 2 prototypes. Goes up to F-8

G: 4, not totally sure they were mass produced though

Ta 152C: Prototypes only

Ta 152H: Not sure, at least one production model

190s came with exta modification suffixes and numbers, U for factory upgrades, R for field-installed jobs. Therein it gets ugly :unsure:

Seriously, luftwaffe nomenclature has enough to it that any hyperscaler with teaching credentials could start up his own jr college level class... JUST for the 109 :lol:

:cheers:

nev

someone should ask this over on HS, stand back and watch the fur fly :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Quotesomeone should ask this over on HS, stand back and watch the fur fly :)
Now that would be fun to watch
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Aircav

Daddy, whats a Bf109 ?
is it something nasty cos a heard a man use the word......................
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader