Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Quote from: Ed S on February 27, 2008, 10:46:18 AM
Quote from: B777LR on February 27, 2008, 10:13:46 AM
Has anybody on this forum flown onboard a military aircraft as passenger or crewmember? (I know Zac has flown Tiger Moths, but anyone else?)

I have flown in a number of different ones.  Although it was over 25 years ago. Why do you ask?

Ed 

Just curious...

Nick

I went up in a DeHavilland Dragon Rapide for a fun flight a couple of years ago.
It was used by the RAF in WW2 as a transport aircraft so does that count?

Has anyone here been to the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare? Any thoughts?

Nick :mellow:

Martin H

Chipmunk
Puma HC-1
Chinnok HC-1
Gazelle HCC-2
Andover CC-1
BAC 1-11 Radar test bed
Harrier T-4 (totaly unofficial, the driver would have been shot if it was ever found out he had a passenger LOL)
VC-10 C-1

All the above while I was a Cadet in the ATC
Im also told we did a few trooping flights in a Britannia C-1 when i was a kid comeing back on leave from germany and also an RCAF CC-137 on the same run.
Cant say I remember any of the trooping flights as i was only 5 or 6 at the time.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

QuoteHas anybody on this forum flown onboard a military aircraft as passenger or crewmember?

Quite a few times - but being in the RAAF gives one that easily.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Hobbes

Quote from: Nick on February 27, 2008, 02:51:39 PM

Has anyone here been to the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare? Any thoughts?

Yes, I was there last year. They have a decent collection with some fairly unusual specimens (e.g. some Westland mockups and prototypes, the only surviving Rotodyne parts). You probably won't need an entire day for a visit (I spent about 3 hours there). If you're in the area, the Bristol Aero collection at Kemble airfield is worth a visit as well (but they're only open 1-2 days a week).

http://www.bristolaero.com/

Aircav

Quote from: GTX on February 28, 2008, 12:00:29 AM
Has anybody on this forum flown onboard a military aircraft as passenger or crewmember?

As a pessenger in VC-10's and Britannia's  :ph34r:
Oh and as a student in Chipmunk's
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

rallymodeller

Has anybody on this forum flown onboard a military aircraft as passenger or crewmember? (I know Zac has flown Tiger Moths, but anyone else?)

Canadian Herks a couple of times, CC137 Husky configured as an in-flight refueler (but as a passenger), and a few times in a CH135 Iroquois. Too tall for most military hot jets, unfortunately. Closest to a combat jet was once in a CC-117 Falcon set up for EW training.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Ed S

Quote from: B777LR on February 27, 2008, 11:00:31 AM
Quote from: Ed S on February 27, 2008, 10:46:18 AM

I have flown in a number of different ones.  Although it was over 25 years ago. Why do you ask?

Ed 

Just curious...

Anyway, to expand on what I flew.  The ones I actually flew (as opposed to just rode in)
A-7D
OV-10A
AT-33
T-33
T-37
T-38
T-41

Some that I rode in
UH-1
AH-1
OH-58
CH-3
CH-53
F-100
C-47
C-130
C-141
C-124
C-131
T-29
C-97
T-39
C-9

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

nev

RAF VC-10 as a nipper on the way to Cyprus and back
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

AH Snakes, Slicks, Hogs, and Bugs.
Hercules.

kitbasher

Man and boy, starting with th most time and going all the way down to the least.  All as a passenger, although taken the controls of the trainers in flight:

VC10 K2, C1, K3
TRISTAR KC1, K1, C2
HERCULES C1, C-130E, C-130H
SHACKLETON AEW2
GAZELLE AH1, HT3
SENTRY E-3B
JET PROVOST T4
BULLDOG T1
CHIPMUNK T10
BLACKHAWK UH-60A
CANBERRA T4, B2
ANDOVER CC2
SUPER JOLLY HH-53C
DEVON C2
NIMROD R1
BAC 1-11 (MIL)
WESSEX HC2, HAR2
SEA KING HAS1, HAS2
LYNX AH7
VIKING TX1
HUNTER T7
WHIRLWIND HAR10
PUMA HC1
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

proditor

Okay, suppose I wanted to make an A-4 even smaller.  How possible would it be to swap the wings for something that folds?  Additionally, if I took out the landing gear, how possible would it be to install the skid/float system of the sea dart?  I don't need a lot of wing fold from what I can see, it looks like 5 feet in from the wingtips would do it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

T-6 Harvard - (@ Kissimmee Fl.)
Chipmunk - RAF AEF
Bulldog - RAF AEF/UAS
Whirlwind - Sometime in the mid 70's on a forces recruiting day
Wessex - RAF/HMCG cross training flight early 90's
Sea Kings (lots) - HMCG, RAF - Hey, it's terrible job but somebody has to do it, right !

So let me get this straight, our own Ed S is a former SLUF and OV-10 driver ?..... how cool is that !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Few questions on the weapons included in the Nimrod kit.

The ones I can identify, Sidewinder, Sting Ray torpedo, Boz, Harpoon.  Can anyone tell me what models are the sonobouys, the other fishes (Mk.46?) & what is the triple poddy thing that goes at the front of the weapons bay on all versions?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on February 29, 2008, 04:48:01 PM
Few questions on the weapons included in the Nimrod kit.

The ones I can identify, Sidewinder, Sting Ray torpedo, Boz, Harpoon.  Can anyone tell me what models are the sonobouys, the other fishes (Mk.46?) & what is the triple poddy thing that goes at the front of the weapons bay on all versions?

Post a pic, and I'll try to tell you.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!