Everything you always wanted to ask...

Started by John Howling Mouse, March 29, 2006, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Thanks Greg, there's a link to a shot of the weapons sprue here:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/airfix/images/airfix_12050_parts4.jpg

If they're not much help I'll try & get some pics tomorrow.

EDIT, here you go:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

I believe (though may be wrong) that the "the triple poddy thing" is the Air-Sea-Rescue kit (i.e. multi-seat dinghies and survival packs etc) the Nimrod carries.

As for Sonobuoys, I believe these were/are all carried internally, so you wouldn't see them in the weapons' bay.  Still researching the others - I didn't think the Mk-46 was carried by the Nimrod, but again I could be wrong.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Thanks Greg.  The Torpedoes bodies resemble Mk.46's, but they do seem to be different to to the ones in the kit.  The fins on the kit fishes extend into the body & end in a ring duct around the props.  A variant of the Mk.46, or something different?

I wondered about Sonobouys, most are easily manhandled & dropped into tubes by an operator within the aircraft.  Would these be depthcharges then, if so do you know the model?  They build up into a pack of six.

I scanned a section of the Airfix Nimrod Instructions to better illustrate the two stores:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Wel,, further research reveals the Nimrod did carry the Mk46 Torp for a while.  It also carried the:

Mk 30 Torp:

Mark 44 Torp:

Stingray Torp:

QuoteThe Torpedoes bodies resemble Mk.46's, but they do seem to be different to to the ones in the kit.  The fins on the kit fishes extend into the body & end in a ring duct around the props.  A variant of the Mk.46, or something different?

I agree - see drawing of Mk 46 below:

In fact, the only one of the others that has a similar tail arrangement would appear to be Stingray.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Regarding the other items, they may also be magnesium flares.

Regards,

Greg

gooberliberation

What're Il-2 Shturmoviks made out of?

I've got a two-seat IL-2 model that I was thinking of doing in something other than Green, and was thinking of USAAF markings and natural metal, if only on the undersides.

I'm assuming that the control surfaces were fabric skinned(though vectorsite says some were all metal), but was there wood involved as well?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

lenny100

Quote from: Mossie on March 01, 2008, 02:57:23 PM
Thanks Greg.  The Torpedoes bodies resemble Mk.46's, but they do seem to be different to to the ones in the kit.  The fins on the kit fishes extend into the body & end in a ring duct around the props.  A variant of the Mk.46, or something different?

I wondered about Sonobouys, most are easily manhandled & dropped into tubes by an operator within the aircraft.  Would these be depth-charges then, if so do you know the model?  They build up into a pack of six.

I scanned a section of the Airfix Nimrod Instructions to better illustrate the two stores:

those two number 26 look very much like the bucket of sunshine, or as the powers at the top the nuclear depth bomb, which i was trained to put together but never even saw a photo of a real live one back in the late 1980s before they were withdrawn by the royal navy.
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Craig

Quote from: Martin H on February 27, 2008, 03:14:43 PM
Chipmunk
Puma HC-1
Chinnok HC-1
Gazelle HCC-2
Andover CC-1
BAC 1-11 Radar test bed
Harrier T-4 (totaly unofficial, the driver would have been shot if it was ever found out he had a passenger LOL)
VC-10 C-1

All the above while I was a Cadet in the ATC
Im also told we did a few trooping flights in a Britannia C-1 when i was a kid comeing back on leave from germany and also an RCAF CC-137 on the same run.
Cant say I remember any of the trooping flights as i was only 5 or 6 at the time.

Beats my record from my ATC days:
Bulldog T.1
Grob Tutor
Puma HC.1
Chinook HC.2
Hercules C.4
Merlin HC.3

I've not had as many chances for jollies since becoming staff-damn cadets taking priority!  :banghead:
Do not despair for Johnny head-in-air,
 He sleeps as sound as Johnny underground.
 Fetch no shroud for Johnny in-the-cloud,
 And keep your tears for him in later years.
 Better by far for Johnny-th-bright-star,
 To keep your head and see his children fed.

Mossie

Lenny & Greg, thanks for the answers guys!

I've got another question now.  It started off as 'Did the FV432 APC ever carry the L6 Wombat Recoilless Rifle?' but I've found out it did, if not in huge numbers.  The question now is 'does anyone have any shots or diagrams better than this one?'!!!

This is a 1/288 pewter model & the best shot I can find on the net.

GTX

Quote from: gooberliberation on March 02, 2008, 01:14:29 AM

I've got a two-seat IL-2 model that I was thinking of doing in something other than Green, and was thinking of USAAF markings and natural metal, if only on the undersides.

I'm assuming that the control surfaces were fabric skinned(though vectorsite says some were all metal), but was there wood involved as well?

My information says the following:

• Cockpit area - Armour plate (specifically AB-1 (aviatsiionnaya bronya-1)) - this was also around the engine area;
  • Wings, tailplane and what little of the forward fuselage that was not part of the armoured shell - Duralumin;
  • Rear fuselage & tail fin - Wood monocoque; and
  • All fixed surfaces also had light alloy skinning apart from flaps, which were similarly covered, all movable surfaces were metal framed with fabric skinning.

However, to complicate matters further:

• For some time, the outer wings were of wooden (though possibly metal skinned?) construction; and
  • Later on when the situation wasn't so dire, the rear fuselage and tail fin were also made out of metal

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Greg

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Mossie on March 01, 2008, 02:57:23 PM

#26 parts are supposed to represent depth bombs.  These are clones to the depth bombs that have been offered in several other Airfix kits in the past.  Very simple looking but so is a depth bomb in real life. 

The other objects that are assembled into six-packs could be marine smoke markers or illumination flares, both which are necessary tools for any SAR operation.  As for physical appearance, both are very plain looking, long and cylindrical in appearance. 

Quote from: Mossie on February 29, 2008, 04:48:01 PMwhat is the triple poddy thing that goes at the front of the weapons bay on all versions?
The "triple poddy" cylindrical shapes are a feeble attempt to represent air dropped life raft containers in two different sizes.  Here is a link to Prime Portal Walk-Around of the Nimrod which shows these things in much better detail: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason2/nimrod_mr2_fairford/index.php?Page=1
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Quote from: GTX on March 14, 2008, 01:53:59 PM
Quote from: gooberliberation on March 02, 2008, 01:14:29 AM

My information says the following:

• Cockpit area - Armour plate (specifically AB-1 (aviatsiionnaya bronya-1)) - this was also around the engine area;
  • Wings, tailplane and what little of the forward fuselage that was not part of the armoured shell - Duralumin;
  • Rear fuselage & tail fin - Wood monocoque; and
  • All fixed surfaces also had light alloy skinning apart from flaps, which were similarly covered, all movable surfaces were metal framed with fabric skinning.

However, to complicate matters further:

• For some time, the outer wings were of wooden (though possibly metal skinned?) construction; and
  • Later on when the situation wasn't so dire, the rear fuselage and tail fin were also made out of metal

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Greg

Wood outer wings were wood frames and shpon(birch ply) covering as used on the wooden monococque rear fuselage.

First model Il-2 (single-seat/straight-wing) were built with both metal and wood outer wings, some were built with the entire empennage made of wood.
Second model Il-2 (two-seat/straight-wing) were built with wood outer wings.
Third model Il-2 (two-seat/swept-wing) were built with wood wings until the resumption of all-metal construction in 1944, a metal rear fuselage and fin was introduced on the final batches.

So you could do a late production two-seat/swept-wing in natural metal.

Jon

Martin H

Quote from: Craig on March 02, 2008, 03:49:45 AM
I've not had as many chances for jollies since becoming staff-damn cadets taking priority!  :banghead:

In 14 years as a staff member, i didnt get a single flight. all my flying was as a cadet. so dont be surprised if u never get into an RAF aircraft for a jolly again mate. in the end its the sprogs that count...staff come second in the pecking order for jollies.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Shasper

How would I take "screen shots" of a DVD movie on my laptop? Ever since I've had Dell laptops I havent been able to figure out how to take snaps of my fav movies for my screen saver & other things.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Mossie

Thanks for all the help on the Nimrod stores guys!