Dassault Super Mirage G8A

Started by GTX, April 01, 2006, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Anybody is reading this theread ? :P  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Gary

I am, and kinda wondering how you twinned the F1 engines. I've been trying to sort out how to do a Mirage VG for a little while. Mig 23 wing gloves and wings reshaped, no problemo. F1 forward parts, no problemo. Twin seats, problemo. Twin engines, problemo.

I can't tell from your photos how you acheived it.  
Getting back into modeling

NARSES2

With those needle noses it's the flying hypodermics  :P

Interesting collcetion and nice to see some European projects

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Archibald

As you saw, I made a G8 (the blue one) and an ACF (the white one).
how I twinned the engines?
I use paper and cardboard to make my models :) !!!!
So, I asked Heller Mirage IV exhausts (it's the only Mirage with two engines!!!!). After that, I took the two exhausts, and put paper around it, to have a circular form. Then, I adapted and glued this form to the rear of a Mirage F1 kit (Heller F1CR). No need to buy another Mirage F1 : Heller send me the spares (nearly a complete Mirage F1! :P) for free...  
I made the same thing for the G8, this time starting from a MiG-23.
The trouble is :  the two engines of the G8 are the same as the Mirage IV (Atar 9K50). but not the ACF, which received M53... so my ACF is not exact, because  it had Atar exhausts. It's difficult to have two M53 exhausts (but the 4000 had two M53 exhausts, one from the 2000N, other from Heller :P)
When I had finished this work, I found an old, crappy Mirage 2000N kit I have bought. The ASMP went in my Rafale M, the cockpit first was in Vautour B but the result was bad. So I scrapped the Vautour, and the cockpit went to a Mirage G... with the MiG-23 exhaust. I found a (crude) VG wing system in an old toy, and used it. But this Mirage G is not very good...
If you are interested, I can post photos of the G
cheers, Archibald (just call me Archie if you want)  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

NARSES2

I didn't realise they were paper and cardboard !

I have a card model pre-Dreadnaught that I want to build

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Archibald

Well Narses concerning cardboard and the rest:
I know there's much limits to the cardboard and paper.
So I want to know more about modelling plastic. I heard there was vacuform, molds or something like that. for example, when I look "the what if and old ball model page" I  always ask "how does they do that?"
I understand they model plastic, but how do you do that? Is it possible to buy some kind of "sheets of pastic", heat them, and they, model the form you want ???

NARSES2

Huge question Archibald and I'm not really the one to answer it.

Obviously most of us start with a basic kit and then graft bits of other kits which are roughly the shapes we want onto the basic kit. We can change the shapes somewhat by using plastic model filler and sanding that to shape. Some people use thin plastic sheet to form laminations which they can then use to make wings etc.

Thorvic is the man to ask as he is the master scratchbuilder around here

Chris

Archibald

Thank you!! no problems... I think I ask Thorvic one day. I made apile of photos of my models, but I have to instal the software to see it  (Kodak Easy share)...

Hobbes

Yes, you can buy sheets of plastic, and rods (square, round or any other shape). You can also make a rough shape in wood (balsa, for example). We use putty to fill gaps, etc. and add details. Look around on the forum, there are quite a few threads that show models being built (often called "progress pics", use that phrase for searching).

Archibald

PolluxDeltaSeven

Hello Archie!!

Beautiful planes you done!! And in paper and cartboard?!! That's amazing!!

I can't imagine what you'll doing when you'll start scratchbuilding with plastic!!
For, that, maybe I can help you. I don't know in which city you live in france, but in Paris, their is a very good model shop (for me and a lot of modelers, it's the best in France for the plane's modelers): it's "Flight 66", 30 rue de Montreuil, 75011 Paris, near Gare de Lyon or metro ligne 8 faidherbe chaligny...

Voilà!!
They have a lot of "Evergreen" plastic sheets, puty etc etc... And the guys who work them are very nice, they could help you and answer all you questions... Moreover, they have exclusives models, somethings you couldn't find anywhere. For example, a 1/72 SeaDart for 20€ or the Hasegawa weapons kits in 1/72 that are not available in the other french model shops...

It really the best model shop I ever saw in France!!
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Archibald

Hello PD7! Nice to see you again... I red, too "Le Fana" so I heard about flight 66... must go there one day that's clear!!For the Mirages  only the wings, tail and rear fuselage  are cardboard, not the rest... the rest is from Heller and from the "boite a rabiots" as we say in French :P

I made many others models with this method : I'm raging because I miss some French plane in 1/72 scale (GIVE ME A VAUTOUR!!!!!!!!!!) so when I'm fed up waiting, I made the model myself. (because "on est jamais aussi bien servi que par soit meme")
I create a Griffon (from an old fuselage) a Leduc 022 (Mach2 model is crap) , a Durandal, a Mirage IVC (fighter forerunner of the Mirage IVA) an ACF G8 and G. None of these exist in models (to my knowledge of course). I failed making the Vautour I admit (:( ) and no way to find one in 1/72 scale (but there's Fonderie Miniature in 1/48...)
The main drawback of my  method is that models are unequals;  some of look fine, others looks crap :P  

Tophe

The search tool does not find "Mirage 6000" in this forum while I thought it was mentioned by some of us (Deino? Overscan? Elmayerle?). Have a picture of it be shown somewhere? I would enjoy it very much... this would complete the gallery of what-if (ordered) possibilities.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Archibald

Apaprently it the Mirage 6000 was the MaxiMirage, mach3 delta wing fighter of 1969 ? Deino send me the three view of this plane on Key Publishing so... I go back with it quickly!!  

Archibald

Here they are... (is it impossible to add files in this part of the forum??)