A-5 (A3J) Vigilante

Started by MartG, April 07, 2006, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dork the kit slayer

To answer Martins question ( my six pennarth). The Revell Viggie is the early non humped version and not too bad for its day. The box art could be the thing that raises the worth . I think £16 quid is a bit steep,but thats a collectors price not a builders. :thumbsup: :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeffry Fontaine

How about:

An A-5 Vigilante armed with the AGM-69 SRAM?  For strike missions against strategic targets in support of the SIOP that were launched from the carriers in the North Atlantic and North Pacific against SAM sites and air defense command and control centers.  It would be armed with two fuel tanks and two SRAM weapons. 

An EA-5 Vigilante configured for the SEAD (Wild Weasel or Iron Hand) mission?  It would be armed with anti-radar missiles such as the AGM-45 Shrike, AGM-78 Standard ARM, and the WHIF AGM-69 SRAM ARM for strategic and tactical targets.  The AGM-69 SRAM ARM would be based on a AGM-69 missile but fitted with the seeker and conventional high explosive warhead from the AGM-78 to create a conventional weapon that could be used for tactical as well as strategic missions.  Primary targets would be forward based SAM and ABM systems such as the SA-5 and ABM-1.  Add the signature pod from the tail of the F-4G Wild Weasel to the EA-5 to provide the obvious modifications along with the rest of the bumps and antennas associated with that mission. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Deino

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

elmayerle

Just throwing out an idea that, using the back end of the Monogram kit is actually fairly doable, a permanently installed version of the buddy0refueling system tested on the A3J-1 to the basic A-5C airframe to produce a KA-5 "fast Texaco" for when you needed a tanker out there really quick.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mossie

I'm suprised we've never seen an USAF A-5 in SEA camo.  Apart from Air Force - Navy rivalry, the A-5 seems a natrual choice to fill the gap had the TFX program failed & the F-111 not gone into production.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

elmayerle

Quote from: Mossie on July 25, 2008, 03:22:26 AM
I'm suprised we've never seen an USAF A-5 in SEA camo.  Apart from Air Force - Navy rivalry, the A-5 seems a natrual choice to fill the gap had the TFX program failed & the F-111 not gone into production.

On my "to build" list, since I've got the pieces, is a USAF EA-5 with the antenna bulge on the tip ofthe vertical and the ALQ-99 installed in the ventral canoe along the lines of the EF-111 installation.  Also, I've managed to acquire one of the old AMT boxings of the HSae RA-5C that depicts one of eht RA-5C camo schemes.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Imagine if the Vigilante remained in service longer.  Moreover, what if the A-6 didn't enter service and thus the Vigi took on it's roles:

A-5 - Give it a more conventional weapons bay (perhaps a rotary one), later on update the engines to turbofans, give it modern avionics, perhaps with the TRAM turret from the A-6E or the AN/AVQ-26 Pave Tack.  This could also fulfil the USAF/RAAF F-111 role and potentially the FB-111 role;

EA-5 - As described by Evan above, give it a similar fit out to the EF-111 as a dedicated EW bird;

KA-5 - As discussed here give it a tanker role;

FA-5 - as discussed many a time, let it take on the interceptor role instaed of the F-14.  Maybe also have it selected for the land based interceptor role as well;

SL-5 - SL as in Space Launch.  Use the A-5 as a launch vehicle for small satellites; and

CA-5 - A rapid transport.

As for users:

USAF - instead of F-111/EF-111 etc
RAAF - instead of F-111
RCAF - instead of CF-104
RAF - instaed of Buccanear and Tornado
Luftwaffe/Marineflieger instead of F-104G/Tornado (EA-5 could also do Tornado ECR role)
Aeronautica Militare - same as above
Royal Saudi Air Force - instead of Tornados;
Israel - dedicated strike aircraft;
India - same as above;
Canada - CF-105 replacement + dedicated striker;
Japan...oh the list goes on.  How much was a 1/48 Vigilante again???  Do they do bulk order discounts???

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

famvburg

Would a Navy one do? They had at east one done in essentially USAF SEA camo. There was an A-6 as well.

Quote from: Mossie on July 25, 2008, 03:22:26 AM

GTX

Quickly thrown together EA-5:

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on January 01, 2010, 10:47:21 AM
SL-5 - SL as in Space Launch.  Use the A-5 as a launch vehicle for small satellites; and

How about putting a rocket motor between the jet nozzles with a tank of oxidant in the bomb bay? It could use kerosene from the main tanks as fuel, and you could sling the orbiter vehicle underneath it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

MAD

QuoteCA-5 - A rapid transport.

Hey Greg
That's one serious Carrier On-board Delivery (COD) aircraft!!!!

Regards
M.A.D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: MAD on January 01, 2010, 09:32:47 PM
That's one series Carrier On-board Delivery (COD) aircraft!!!!

You could even imagine a later civvie version, a REALLY quick exec jet, from that root. A bit like a 1990s On Mark Invader maybe?  ;D

[Working on mental colour schemes for an exec Vigi........]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Hey Greg

Regards
M.A.D

I figureyou would still need the standard COD, though this could be used for those high priority requirements and for executive transport or maybe medicl emergencies.

Regards

Greg

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2010, 09:09:12 AM

You could even imagine a later civvie version, a REALLY quick exec jet, from that root. A bit like a 1990s On Mark Invader maybe?  ;D

[Working on mental colour schemes for an exec Vigi........]

I was thinking the same thing.

Regards,

Greg

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on January 02, 2010, 11:26:14 AM

Hey Greg

Regards
M.A.D

I figureyou would still need the standard COD, though this could be used for those high priority requirements and for executive transport or maybe medicl emergencies.

Regards

Greg

Maybe you put the casualty in a pod in the bomb bay and toss-bomb them to a parachute landing right on the hospital lawn......... ;D :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones