Started by MartG, April 07, 2006, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on January 02, 2010, 12:55:22 PM
Quote from: GTX on January 02, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
Quote from: MAD on January 01, 2010, 09:32:47 PM
QuoteCA-5 - A rapid transport.

Hey Greg
That's one series Carrier On-board Delivery (COD) aircraft!!!!

Regards
M.A.D

I figureyou would still need the standard COD, though this could be used for those high priority requirements and for executive transport or maybe medicl emergencies.

Regards

Greg

Maybe you put the casualty in a pod in the bomb bay and toss-bomb them to a parachute landing right on the hospital lawn......... ;D :wacko:

No silly, first you need to strap the guidance unit to their head... ;D

Regads,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Hi folks,

Has anyone actually built the three engined proposed interceptor version?  Alternatively, has anyone got a cood set of drawings showing the changes - intake/third engine etc?

Regards,

Greg

PR19_Kit

I've done a hybrid TSR2/Vigi with three engines to make the BAC Barracuda S3A, as used in the 2nd Falklands War...  -_-

There's some piccies of it in my part of the Gallery somewhere.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MAD

Quote from: GTX on May 29, 2010, 03:35:21 PM
Hi folks,

Has anyone actually built the three engined proposed interceptor version?  Alternatively, has anyone got a cood set of drawings showing the changes - intake/third engine etc?

Regards,

Greg

Do you mean the Retaliator  Greg?

M.A.D

Mossie

Hi folks,

Regards,

Greg

I wouldn't say they are particularly 'good', but I posted some on page 1, probably good enough to make a model from.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Quote from: MAD on May 30, 2010, 05:27:08 AM
Hi folks,

Regards,

Greg

M.A.D

Yep.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: Mossie on May 30, 2010, 07:42:22 AM
Hi folks,

Regards,

Greg

I wouldn't say they are particularly 'good', but I posted some on page 1, probably good enough to make a model from.

Yes I saw those - I'm trying to clearly see where the extra intakes are (are they on top of the aircraft or hidden within the existing intakes?)  I would also like a side view so as to properly work out the positioning of the extra engine.

Regards,

Greg

Mossie

On the top.  I said in my original post that the engines were fed from the existing intakes, but I got my facts mixed up.  You can see the position of the intakes on the plan on the Air Vectors silhouette, they fair into the fuselage, you can also get the height from the rear view.  There's an enalrged radar as well.

In the artists impression, the position of the third engine seems to be slightly behind the lower two, although in the Air Vectors diagram & the cutaway appear to show it directly above them.  I'd personally go with the latter, I find artists impressions are usuall just that.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tigercat2

Here is a USAF Vigi I did about 5 years ago; the old 1/76 scale Monogram kit; looks like a single seater.  Very basic kit, IIRC, but close to 1/72.

Wes W.

Scooterman

Quote from: Mossie on May 30, 2010, 03:20:59 PM
On the top.  I said in my original post that the engines were fed from the existing intakes, but I got my facts mixed up.  You can see the position of the intakes on the plan on the Air Vectors silhouette, they fair into the fuselage, you can also get the height from the rear view.  There's an enalrged radar as well.

In the artists impression, the position of the third engine seems to be slightly behind the lower two, although in the Air Vectors diagram & the cutaway appear to show it directly above them.  I'd personally go with the latter, I find artists impressions are usuall just that.
Does this help?  From Wings of Fame, Vol. 19.  If somebody wants a better scan of the cutaway, let me know.
Notice the F-4E type gun fairing under the nose, and the IR tracker (black) behind muzzle between first pair of AIM-47s. 

I might do this, using a standard Vigi, but add the gun and perhaps 4 AIM-54s............

PR19_Kit

That #2 centre engine is in a decidely weird place.

It looks like they went to some lengths to place it above and behind #1 and #3, in its own pod, almost like a squashed DC-10, when there was a socking great hole, the bomb-bay, already there between the other two engines! In the external piccie you can still see the fairing over the launch port of the linear bomb-bay, so wwhat did they use it for, more fuel perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Cliffy B

Something I've always wondered about the Viggie, was it ever employed in its original bomber role?  It seems like it was quickly made into a Photo bird and all notions of an attack bird disappeared.  I know it was designed as a nuke bomber but what about conventional bombing?  What was its carrying capacity?  Could it carry a decent conventional load?  Same thing goes for the AJ Savage, another nuke bomber that quickly turned into a ECM/Tanker bird.  Would an ECM version of a Viggie be feasible?  Just some things I've been wondering about.  Might get a Viggie kit soon and wanted to make a plausible whiff.  Any ideas gents?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

rickshaw

As it was designed almost completely for nuclear strike, no it was never utilised in the strike role.  Anyway, my understanding is that they never got the rearward ejecting fuel tank+bomb to work properly.  Apparently the fuel tank had a depressing way of ejecting itself on a catapult launch so I'd be really worried about trying it with a nuke attached.  I can't think of anything more embarrassing than having a nuke shoot out the arse of my main strike aircraft and slide along the deck and perhaps off the bow of my carrier.   :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

MAD

Quote from: GTX on May 30, 2010, 11:57:53 AM
Quote from: MAD on May 30, 2010, 05:27:08 AM
Hi folks,

Regards,

Greg

M.A.D

Yep.

Regards,

Greg

Sorry Greg
I failed to see the same artist impression on Page 1! - It was posted in  ;D2008

M.A.D

Chris707

Although rarely if ever used, the RA-5C retained the ability to carry ordnance underwing - one shot had Bullpups on the outer pylons and Mk.43s on the inboards, while another had a dozen Mk.82s on outboard MERS and a pair of Mk.83s inboard.

Chris
--------------------------
B-1A