Time for some Gripen dreaming

Started by GTX, April 11, 2006, 02:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

I've always thought that the SAAB Gripen deserves to be the F-5 of the 21st century.  It offers everything you could want in one compact package, comes at a relatively low operating cost and is designed for ease of maintenance.  Whilst it has been relatively successful to date (South Africa, Hungary, etc), what if it were even more successful.  Think of the possibilities (some of which may closer to reality):

Saudi Arabia (replacement for F-5);
New Zealand;
UK (replacement for Jag & a nice compliment to Typhoon and possibly a naval version - the Sea Gripen);
Norway;
Austria;
Finland;
Denmark;
Phillipines;
Singapore;
Malaysia;
Indonesia;
Vietnam;
India (both land and Naval version);
Switzerland;
Canada;
USAF/USN (Aggressor);

the list of potential operators goes on...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Maverick

My Gripen whifs began before the SAAF decided to take the type on, but are still 'near future' whifs.  I had a similar problem back in 2001 - 2 when i was thinking up a 2nd Iraq war.... bugger Bush Jnr... :lol:  

Son of Damian

Austria has actually ordered the Typhoon after it bet out the F-16 and Gripen, after the latter turned out to be reather expensive!!! There was an interesting article at acig.org  http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_476.shtml

USAF/USN Aggressor now that would be really really really really really really Coooool!!! B)  B)  B) I wouldn't be surprised if we leased some Rafaels and/or Gripens for dissimilar combat trainning similar to the F-21/Kfir. They would look really cool in US aggressor colors wouldn't they!!! B)  B)  B)  
This one is my favorite!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

GTX

Hi folks,

A few more for the list:

Brazil (both land and Naval version);
Chile;
Peru;
Mexico;
Spain (Mirage F-1 replacement);
Germany (if they had pulled out of Typhoon as they were threatening to do a few years back - in fact, they also tried for a single engined Typhoon);
Baltic republics of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania;
Greece.

My god, this list is endless!!!  I better buy somne kits and decals.

Regards,

Greg

Hobbes

You rang?

Archibald

I like the idea of an agressor Rafale, but be careful at the Agressor! He could slaughter your F-16, F-18 E/F, F-15 and even F-35... :P  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Archibald

yeeeesssssssssss!!!! It was just a joke of course... :P  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Swedish Mick

In my Project planning notes, I can see that I sometime hope to be building a TF-39B in Brazilian colours, a F-39A in Bulgarian and maybe a F-39A in some other interesting marking, why not Vietnamese or Qatarian ...
There are many possibilities even in the real world. Export sales have failed in Switzerland, Finland, Chile, Austria, Brazil, Poland, Netherlands, Philippines, Australia and Singapore. Under speculations/negotiation or evaluations is Bulgaria, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Qatar, Romania, Slovakia, Switzerland (again), Thailand, Vietnam, Denmark, Greece and Norway. And there might be some I've missed.
As GTX says, some of the earlier mentioned countries may be close to reality.
Modellbygge iFokus
http://modellbygge.ifokus.se

Hatchet

Israel already have a Gripen :P

I'm thinking about doing a Danish one. Trouble is, I'd like it to have the digital camo in different colors from that Hornet, but that would probably make me go blind. I've switched to 1/72 since I built the Israeli one.

:cheers:

Family Guy

I always loved the idea of euro-canard winning the export war :P

For eastern Europe and some Asian countreys the Gripen

Central Europe and Middle east the Typhoon

And Rafale gets the rest muhahaha :lol:  :lol:  

Archibald

apparently at one time the Swedish wanted an ehanced grippen with conformal fuel tanks and F-414 engine  

Son of Damian

Thats a cool pic GTX, where did you find it???
And what are those thingies strung out behind it???
:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

elmayerle

Towd decoys such as several aircraft can use these days.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

QuoteTowd decoys such as several aircraft can use these days.

Bingo!