Time for some Gripen dreaming

Started by GTX, April 11, 2006, 02:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Radish,

How about an Italian Sea Gripen operating off their new carrier!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Radish

Nice....but should we outlaw grey...or the grey scheme as now used, from the Gripen?
Lots of disruptive colours.
Desert schemes look nice and the Israeli one of Sky, sand, dark brown over light grey is lovely, especially if it's nicely weathered.

Just thinking.
Italian Navy.....all over grey with blue/mid-blue pattern? :D  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

GTX

Radish,

How about a blue/greys (dark, Light & Medium) version of the Swedish Splinter camo scheme?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

glanini

........... in the early 2000s the north sea is not so quiet anymore due to fish zone questions so Iceland build up an air corp with Gripens
... The hottest places in Hell are reserved for the ones who, in times of great moral crisis, stay neutral ..........

Hammer-nikit

I have a belief that although being a superb aircraft, the Gripen is the RIGHT FIGHTER PLANE but rests in the hands of the WRONG COUNTRY... Historically there have been only two types of countries with successful large number fighter exports in the world market

a) A country politicaly strong enough to muscle aside the other competitors' bids
B) A country rich enough to effectively give away the fighters to poorer but never the less friendly nations

The external success of the F-16 is an example of the first case and the large F-5 and MiG-21 list of clients is a clear proof of the second case.

Sweden has none of the two vital characteristics above, so in my opinion the only large scale oportunity the Gripen had was wasted when the Eurofighter orders were confirmed in the mid 90s. Had any of the four nations walked away from the project unit costs would have soared causing a major cancelation. BAE involvement in the Gripen Program might have made it into a "Eurofighter-light" commanding as much as some 300-400 units for the RAF alone. Then as a BRITISH airplane its future could turn out to be very different.

Comments?

Hammer

NARSES2

Can't disagree with what you say Hammer but would add a third possible reason to your list. The possibilty of an arms embargo because of Swedish Neutrality ? Not just the Swedes but other nations have a history of embargos that are not even "Neutrality" based but are put in place as the political sands shift, the UK and France among them

I don't know enough (actually nothing) about Swedish Neutrality Law but I've heard it mentioned as a possible problem for Grippen Sales. Be interested to know from someone who knows as they say.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Family Guy

@glanini i just had to work on you're icelandic gripen....sorry... :P

glanini

:D  :D ............... family guy, you are welcome  :D  :D  
... The hottest places in Hell are reserved for the ones who, in times of great moral crisis, stay neutral ..........

Family Guy

AeroplaneDriver

I like the idea of a RNZAF Gripen.  I always picture NZ as an idyllic, peaceful place (except for the marauding orcs and urak hai), but it's hard to imagine a country in today's world without an offensive/defensive air arm.  Seems like a few squadrons of Gripens would fit the bill perfectly.  

Maybe they'll even let Zac fly one!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Radish

ORKENWAFFE Gripen......obvious really.

Based in NZ of course!!

Are the footwells big enough if Hobbits defect to become Ork pilots? :D  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

glanini

Here is a dutch one after JSF failure.............. for the one in SE camo go to WWIII thread

B777LR

QuoteI always picture NZ as an idyllic, peaceful place
NZ peaceful and idyllic? Comrade, you must have been drinking too much vodka again! NZ will never get peaceful as long as our fellow comrade zac is there (just like all the other places you find whiffers)!

dragon

I hate you guys  :angry: ....First I was going to do a REAL WORLD Grippen, now with all those possiblilities- I don't know what I am going to do with my Grippen!    :wacko:  

So many choices, so little time! B)
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Swedish Mick

A nice little thought: If Sweden was still in the position of being a colonial power over the islands of St Barth and Guadeloupe in the Caribbean, as well as Cabo Corso in the present Ghana, we could see Gripen deployed in those areas. How nice it would be with some colourful Gripens in the splinter camouflage, and say, the colours as of Mexican aircrafts... :wub:  
Modellbygge iFokus
http://modellbygge.ifokus.se