Time for some Gripen dreaming

Started by GTX, April 11, 2006, 02:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedish Mick

Now that it seems as if the deal is approved by the Pakistani government, to buy Saab 2000 AWACS aircrafts from Sweden, I do would like to see some Pakistani Gripens as well!  
Modellbygge iFokus
http://modellbygge.ifokus.se

GTX

QuoteNow that it seems as if the deal is approved by the Pakistani government, to buy Saab 2000 AWACS aircrafts from Sweden, I do would like to see some Pakistani Gripens as well!

I don't think you will see it - between, the F-16s, JF-17s and the possible mention of J-10s, I can't see the Gripen alos being purchased.  Besides, I believe the Swedish Government said no on the Gripen when requested.  Mind you they would look cool in a scheme similar to this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Swedish Mick

"The cabinet has approved the proposed purchase ..."
http://pakobserver.net/200605/25/news/topstories02.asp

"The Cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, approved the deal ..."
http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?...=297684&sid=SAS

Modellbygge iFokus

Swedish Mick

Quotesomeone an idea when they'll get the firste saab-2000aew?
I haven't read anything concerning delivery dates yet.
Modellbygge iFokus

GTX

Time to revive a thread - I recently read that Gripen International has listed the following as potential Gripen customers:

• India - proposal submitted;
  • Norway - ditto;
  • Brazil - been in the running for the on again/off again fighter contest;
  • Bulgaria;
  • Canada!!!;
  • Croatia;
  • Denmark;
  • Romania; and
  • Switzerland.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

As strained natural resources become more and more of a national security issue in the first quarter of the 21st century the fishing waters of the North Atlantic become hotly contested, reviving memories of the 1970s "Cod Wars".  To deter foreign incursions into their national waters, the Gripen finds its way into the service of...........

the Irish Air Corps!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

gunfighter

Although I´ve read lots of articles about the gripen so far, I still don´t know exactly if this jet is much closer to the F5 or the F16, or if it is something amidst. It looks like something that many air forces will be oblied to buy to replace ageing aircraft, and not being able to buy JSFs.

Mossie

I think it's fair to put it that category.  Closer to the F-16 really, designed to be a light fighter but with good strike capability.  The Gripen NG as it's now being called seems to be definately on & will give the Gripen a good jump on the F-16's recent developments.  Weapons carrying capability is increased considerably & this should mean it can operate as a dedicated ground pounder if your Air Force so wished.  I can see operators of older F-16 & F-18's being quite keen on the Gripen, if they can't afford JSF, or if they're not in the US's good lads club.  Saying that, the Gripen NG is using an American engine & the Swedish are traditionally careful who they deal with.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

Quote from: Mossie on May 08, 2008, 07:09:28 AM
I can see operators of older F-16 & F-18's being quite keen on the Gripen, if they can't afford JSF, or if they're not in the US's good lads club.  Saying that, the Gripen NG is using an American engine & the Swedish are traditionally careful who they deal with.

Couple of days ago I got the Gripen C/D supplement from AFM, which claims that integrating Russian-made weapon is relatively "straightforward" and that, in text concerning the Czech deal, Gripen offers "the ability to use existing weapons" (which I assume would be those used on MiG-29).

Well of course Czech ended up buying American-made weapons for their Gripens in the end, but I guess it does somehow leave us a bit more room for imagining a version of Gripen armed with Russian-made weapons......

I know that Gripen NG development have considered a variety of engines (F414, EJ200, M88), but what about the initial development of Gripen?  Did SAAB consider engines other than F404 as they came up with JAS-39A/B and even C/D?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

elmayerle

Quote from: gunfighter on May 08, 2008, 03:30:09 AM
Although I´ve read lots of articles about the gripen so far, I still don´t know exactly if this jet is much closer to the F5 or the F16, or if it is something amidst. It looks like something that many air forces will be oblied to buy to replace ageing aircraft, and not being able to buy JSFs.

In this engineer's opinion, it's a much better answer to teh question the F-20 was intended to answer than the F-20, as built, ever was.  Then again, Northrop management had been warned that a new and larger wng was required but chose not to immediately proceed with that.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

r16

the greatest diversion from the topic subject ; what if the Swedes bought F-16XL instead of building a halfsize Viggen ?

gunfighter

Well, I think that´s the point about this. If yo depend on US clearance to sell their engines to a third country, I´d rather go for a block 60 falcon instead of investing on development of Gripen NG. You avoid the risks and the desert falcon looks much more capable. The only relevant question should be the price, don´t know if the gripen is much cheaper than the rest, but if you consider it does´nt have stealth, supercuise, thrust vectoring, AESA, etc etc, I´ll go for F16s, super hornets, typhoons or whatever else

dy031101

Quote from: gunfighter on August 05, 2008, 02:12:44 AM
Well, I think that´s the point about this. If yo depend on US clearance to sell their engines to a third country, I´d rather go for a block 60 falcon instead of investing on development of Gripen NG. You avoid the risks and the desert falcon looks much more capable. The only relevant question should be the price, don´t know if the gripen is much cheaper than the rest, but if you consider it does´nt have stealth, supercuise, thrust vectoring, AESA, etc etc, I´ll go for F16s, super hornets, typhoons or whatever else

There are also industrial offsets to consider- the US tend to be not as willing to offer such benefits.

And fortunately there haven't been that many customers to whom the US have stipulated restrictions as to what goes on their products.

Actually, IIRC, isn't UAE entitled to royalties for the APG-80 as well?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

r16

to the tune of 1 or 2 million dollars .

elmayerle

Quote from: dy031101 on August 05, 2008, 10:03:52 AM
Actually, IIRC, isn't UAE entitled to royalties for the APG-80 as well?

*chuckle* It's worse than that; since the F-16E/F development was a strictly commercial venture, UAE is owed royalties on any sold to anyone else by LM-Aero, even the US government.  This has to be a bit embarrassing for Pentagon provcurement types.  I belive, though, that the APG-80 was already under cevelopment as an evolution of the APG-66/-68 and as a stepping stone toward the next generation radars (that it also makes good retrofit potential likely didn't escape notice, either).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin