Time for some Gripen dreaming

Started by GTX, April 11, 2006, 02:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Quote from: elmayerle on August 06, 2008, 12:36:24 PM
I belive, though, that the APG-80 was already under cevelopment as an evolution of the APG-66/-68 and as a stepping stone toward the next generation radars (that it also makes good retrofit potential likely didn't escape notice, either).

Does it mean that, as far as you know, the UAE would get royalties for every F-16E/F Block 60 sold but not for F-16C/D Block 50/52+ equipped with APG-80?

Or do people have to wait until SABR and RACR are done testing with F-16?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Mossie

Quote from: dy031101 on August 03, 2008, 10:16:14 AM

I know that Gripen NG development have considered a variety of engines (F414, EJ200, M88), but what about the initial development of Gripen?  Did SAAB consider engines other than F404 as they came up with JAS-39A/B and even C/D?

Finally dug out my Aerofax guide on the Gripen, it'd fallen down the back of a drawer! :banghead:  There's quite a lot of scope here, firstly with the F404J.  Consideration was given to thrust reversal (mainly because the Viggen had this), but also to two dimensional thrust vectoring.  That woul make an interestin whiff.  There are pics in the Aerofax guide.

Other engines considered for the JAS 39A were the the P&W PW1120 from the Lavi, favoured by the design team because it offered more power, but the F404 was a lower risk option.  Other options were the Volvo RM8 (JT8D) as used in the Viggen, & the Rolls Royce RB.199 as used in the Tornado.

For the JAS 39C, several engines were also investigated, including the RM12+, an improved version of the Gripens RM12/F404J, Snecma M88-3, developed version of the Rafale's M88-2, Eurojet EJ200 as used in the Typhoon & the General Electric F414 as used in the Super Hornet.  The F414 & EJ200 were favoured, the edge being with the EJ200 because of the potential US veto on exports.

One unrealised potential engine option for the Gripen NG was that Sweden was an early partner in the X-31 VECTOR project with the US & Germany.  Sweden pulled out due to budget constraints & the view that the programme didn't offer enough benefits for the cost involved.  If they had stayed in, maybe a version of NG would have been offered with 3D thrust vectoring?

For anyone interested in Gripen whiffing, the Aerofax guide is worth getting as there's a lot of fodder.  I'd say that for pretty much any of the Aerofax guides to be honest, they usually contain a fair amount on development.  There are several three views of early Gripen studies, including one that is very similar to the F-5, a version with a dorsal intake & a version with the wing from the Rockwell HiMAT.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

dy031101

Quote from: Mossie on August 06, 2008, 02:50:16 PM
Other engines considered for the JAS 39A were the the P&W PW1120 from the Lavi, favoured by the design team because it offered more power, but the F404 was a lower risk option.  Other options were the Volvo RM8 (JT8D) as used in the Viggen, & the Rolls Royce RB.199 as used in the Tornado.

For the JAS 39C, several engines were also investigated, including the RM12+, an improved version of the Gripens RM12/F404J, Snecma M88-3, developed version of the Rafale's M88-2, Eurojet EJ200 as used in the Typhoon & the General Electric F414 as used in the Super Hornet.  The F414 & EJ200 were favoured, the edge being with the EJ200 because of the potential US veto on exports.

Thanks for the trouble!  :cheers:

A RB.199-powered Gripen...... maybe Volvo would have tweaked the engine.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

elmayerle

Quote from: dy031101 on August 06, 2008, 01:16:19 PM
Quote from: elmayerle on August 06, 2008, 12:36:24 PM
I belive, though, that the APG-80 was already under cevelopment as an evolution of the APG-66/-68 and as a stepping stone toward the next generation radars (that it also makes good retrofit potential likely didn't escape notice, either).

Does it mean that, as far as you know, the UAE would get royalties for every F-16E/F Block 60 sold but not for F-16C/D Block 50/52+ equipped with APG-80?

Or do people have to wait until SABR and RACR are done testing with F-16?

As far as I know, the UAE would only get royalties on every F-16E/F.  I'm not sure about the individual systems and how any royalties are covered on those.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Anyone done a model or perhaps profile of a RMAF Gripen?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!