Aircraft Carriers

Started by Nick, November 06, 2002, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

"...and I call it, the DEATH STAR!"  Brahahahahahahahahaha!    ;D ;D ;D

So, this is your next plan Dr. Evil?    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

With nuclear power and desalinization I think a boat could be as big as you want ! Heck, somat that big could have an FPSO type unit built into one of the three hulls !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Joe C-P

Habbakuk the Next Generation!  ;D

You can build it, but will it fit on your hobby shelves?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

seadude

Quote from: Librarian on October 02, 2013, 05:06:56 AM
I would really like to take my what-ifry to a different level and seeking some advice on the aircraft carrier. What I am contemplating is a very large vessel, trimaran in principle, the two outriggers being the size of a modern super-carrier; the main hull/flightdeck being immense (for reasons to be disclosed at a later date ;D). I need to know:

a) could this be feasible?
b) forgetting other considerations (this is a fantasy whiff) are modern naval vessels designed around the limitations of the Suez and Panama canals in terms of draught and width.

Get on board as this could be fun.... :thumbsup:.

How about something like this?

Quote from: JoeP on October 06, 2013, 07:34:59 AM
Habbakuk the Next Generation!  ;D

You can build it, but will it fit on your hobby shelves?

I'm already planning this. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Blimey, that's slightly smaller than Luxemborug, but only just!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Oh yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Now, could a craft with a 140ft wingspan catapult off that baby?

seadude

Quote from: Librarian on October 08, 2013, 09:39:36 AM
Oh yes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. Now, could a craft with a 140ft wingspan catapult off that baby?

Not likely. That AC would have to be 2x the size of what it is now.  :blink:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Librarian

We're going to need a bigger boat. Dum dum dum dum..... ;D

Gondor

I don't know much about ships but to me it looks as if its lacking a little depth or is that draft?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

pyro-manic

Trimaran hull means that it has lots of hull surface area, without being too deep. If it was one big hull it'd sit a lot lower in the water.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

scooter

Dear gods, that looks like something out of Macross.  Does it transform in to a giant robot as well?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

Quote from: scooter on October 08, 2013, 03:25:39 PM
Dear gods, that looks like something out of Macross.  Does it transform in to a giant robot as well?

Nope. I'd love to see somebody try a 1/350 scale model of that beast. It would be huge!  ;D

rickshaw

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 08, 2013, 03:13:23 PM
Trimaran hull means that it has lots of hull surface area, without being too deep. If it was one big hull it'd sit a lot lower in the water.

Trimarans and catamarans however suffer from torsional stress from the separated hulls moving in different directions according to the sea state.   This means that there needs to be a strength deck or structure between them, as one hull goes up and the other(s) go down or stay stationary.  In a carrier, this would mean that the flight deck was always flexing.  The wider the deck, the greater the flexing. It'd make landing on very interesting, I think.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

pyro-manic

True. I think it'd probaly be better with a full deck across the whole lot, rather than have the spiky outrigger hulls jutting out on their own like that. A big enough sea and you might lose one!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

JayBee

Quote from: Gondor on October 08, 2013, 01:38:53 PM
I don't know much about ships but to me it looks as if its lacking a little depth or is that draft?

Gondor

Was that a spelling mistake Alistair? Did you mean draft or DAFT!  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!