Aircraft Carriers

Started by Nick, November 06, 2002, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

The oil money isn't there so much any more, but I can see Chavez buying himself a Kiev-sized carrier as a personal yacht, though a CTOL like the Indians were supposed to get out of the Admiral Gorshkov.

Pakistan might do the same, though I can't really see why they'd want one. Carriers aren't hard to see, and the Indian navy could track it wherever it went in the Indian Ocean.

Perhaps Argentina would want a carrier again.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

CA you should be paying attention to me eventually - I have plans to do a Super-10 which might potentially be navalized.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

Posted by GTX:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22456.msg337200.html#msg337200

So...... Russia's gonna up the number of her carrier(s)......

Actually, what if it would be Russia exporting carriers?

On a seperate topic, what if some potential customers are interested in SATOBAR carriers but would want Western weapons and/or aircraft?  What if the F-35B is unavailable to those customers?  How difficult would it be to adopt Western CATOBAR aircraft for operation from carriers of, say, Kuznetsov's size......?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

Quote from: dy031101 on February 21, 2009, 01:05:53 PM
How difficult would it be to adopt Western CATOBAR aircraft for operation from carriers of, say, Kuznetsov's size......?

Shouldn't be too hard - in fact the Typhoon has already been postulated as a candidate for such.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

Quote from: GTX on February 21, 2009, 01:17:55 PM
Shouldn't be too hard - in fact the Typhoon has already been postulated as a candidate for such.

I kept on having the idea of Rafales flying from a Westernised Kuznetsov (or Rafales adopted for Russian ordnance flying from an export Kuznetsov) in my head......

====================

To-do list here

GTX

Well for that matter just about any naval fighter is a goer.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

Would it be too early to brainstorm on what might follow the São Paulo in service of the Brazilian Navy?

====================

To-do list here

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Weaver

Quote from: dy031101 on February 21, 2009, 01:52:50 PM
Would it be too early to brainstorm on what might follow the São Paulo in service of the Brazilian Navy?

Whatever's cheap and/or second hand, I imagine.

One or more Invincibles, once the RN's finished with them?

New build carrier from India?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dy031101

What's the price tag of the Kuznetsov?  :unsure:

====================

To-do list here

Just call me Ray

Quote from: Weaver on February 21, 2009, 07:04:07 PM

The Invincibles would be small for their needs, though. I imagine they would either buy a brand new carrier or just sit out on naval aviation for a while.
It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

Weaver

Quote from: Just call me Ray on February 22, 2009, 01:31:34 AM
Quote from: Weaver on February 21, 2009, 07:04:07 PM

The Invincibles would be small for their needs, though. I imagine they would either buy a brand new carrier or just sit out on naval aviation for a while.

What are their needs though? They currently seem to be operating a small number of ASW helos and a small number of strike aircraft, which the Invincibles can do, plus don't forget that there are potentially three on offer. Anyway, when you're at the bottom of the bottom of the market, you cut your sails to suit your cloth. If the choice is an Invincible or letting their perishable naval aviation skill fade away for a decade, then I'd say go with the Invincible.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

I've always had the impression South-American naval aviation was more a matter of pride than a useful tool, so the Invincibles would be enough to fill the role.

Just call me Ray

Quote from: Weaver on February 22, 2009, 02:31:53 AM

What are their needs though? They currently seem to be operating a small number of ASW helos and a small number of strike aircraft

Their strike aircraft are not VSTOL-capable though (as much as we'd like to think the Scooter can do anything  :mellow:) and according to Wikipedia the Brazilians really want a fixed-wing strike capability. If they bought an Invincible they would either have to buy Harriers (and the high accident rate from USMC, RN and IN service makes that option unattractive) or sign on for the F-35 when F-35 production slots have already been accounted for for many, many years.

I wouldn't discount the Brazilians in terms of sea power projection. They're a rather wealthy nation and they can easily afford more than just the bottom of the bottom.