Aircraft Carriers

Started by Nick, November 06, 2002, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Since we're talking about Aircraft Carriers, I have a really cool idea -- A flying aircraft carrier -- I don't mean a blimp (Although the vehicle could incorporate large sections inflated with a light gas like helium to make the design lighter) but an aircraft like a seaplane.  Depending on size it could be like that Ace Combat 6 or Ace Combat 7 design, or on a more conservative note a BWB design with internal capacity for at least one aircraft, and the ability to drop one aircraft at a time. 

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

dy031101

There have been discussions here, especially on later pages.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

rabid stoat

Quote from: DarrenP on December 08, 2009, 01:15:06 AM
Given the size of the S-2 and the Sea Kings the RAN were operating I would sugest that the Fixed wing air group would be around 12. Also given the manning requirement I would sugest the RAN would have struggled to provide her with a crew.

Melbourne's own crew plus Sydney's crew plus maybe the crews of the last two River class DEs or the earlier Daring class DDs should have solved part of the problem. Perhaps the smaller ships could even be gifted to the RN as part payment. The whole DDL program and other 1970s projects like HMAS Success might have been affected.

At the risk of quoting wiki:
Melbourne operated a standard air group of four Skyhawks, six Trackers, and ten Wessex helicopters until 1972, when the Wessexes were replaced with ten Westland Sea King anti-submarine warfare helicopters and the number of Skyhawks doubled.[2] Although replaced by the Sea King, two or three Wessex helicopters remained onboard as search-and-rescue aircraft.[2]
One notes the number of fighters increased when the larger Seaking was used. How...?

Sauragnmon

Equally interesting is that it has a cited reference marking... let's see what that reference is....

2. Bishop & Chant, p. 62.

Apparently it's in a book, but does not clarify too much there.  But, Melbourne was a Majestic, and there is another contemporary that was loaded with Lots of seakings - Bonnie!

Equally risking by quoting Wikipedia...

After 1967 refit (alterations in bold)

Displacement: 16,000 tons, and 19,920 tons full load
Dimensions: 192.02 by 24.38 by 7.47 m
Propulsion: Parsons single-reduction geared steam turbines, four Admiralty 3-drum type 350 psi (2.4 MPa) boilers, two shafts; 40,000 shp (30 MW)
Speed Maximum: 24.5 knots (45 km/h)
Crew: 1200; 1370 war
Aviation: Around 21 aircraft, including:

* HS 50 Squadron: Sikorsky HO4S
    * HS 50, HU 21, and VX 10 Squadron: Sikorsky CHSS-2 Sea King
    * VS 880 and VS 881 Squadron: Grumman CS2F Tracker

Flight Deck: 214.58 by 34.29 m
Radar: US AN/SPS-10 surface search, and AN/SPS-501 air search
Armament: Four 3 in (76 mm) 50 twin mounts, three 6 pounder (3 kg) saluting guns

So, not sure exactly how much space were in the hangars, but before the Sea Kings, Bonnie had 34 Banshees IIRC.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

dy031101

When I put together this mental note, I began thinking...... what if I put the flat-top flight deck to a level right on top of the refuelling frame?

This alternate CV-AOE hybrid would end up looking a bit like the WWII Japanese carrier Ryūjō, with everything except for an air control tower and the associated radars below the flight deck level, in hope that underway replenishment wouldn't disrupt air operations (the airwing is again a small one just enough for air defense) too much.

Would it have been too top-heavy though?

====================

To-do list here

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on January 25, 2010, 12:23:01 PM
When I put together this mental note, I began thinking...... what if I put the flat-top flight deck to a level right on top of the refuelling frame?

This alternate CV-AOE hybrid would end up looking a bit like the WWII Japanese carrier Ryūjō, with everything except for an air control tower and the associated radars below the flight deck level, in hope that underway replenishment wouldn't disrupt air operations (the airwing is again a small one just enough for air defense) too much.

Would it have been too top-heavy though?

Do the math.  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height

Weaver

Mad idea for a whiff, inspired by Randy Kloko's grass aircraft carrier here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26865.0.html

What about a civilianised General Aviation carrier?  ;D

Grass flight deck, all weapons and most sensors removed an replaced with verandas with deck chairs and tea stalls, island painted in red and white checkerboard pattern, Cessna 172s, Beechcraft Bonanzas and the odd Tiger Moth dotted around the deck, glider tug with glider in tow on catapult 1, parachutists boarding a Skyvan behind it...... ;D

Obviously aircraft models are a problem. I mentioned the Skyvan because, in tiny scale, it's a dead simple shape to scratchbuild: just a length of carved, square-section Evergreen with strip wings and tail. Scaleorama might help.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on January 31, 2010, 10:00:43 AM
Mad idea for a whiff, inspired by Randy Kloko's grass aircraft carrier here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26865.0.html

What about a civilianised General Aviation carrier?  ;D

Oh, I LIKE that idea!  :lol:

Can I have a go in the sailplane please?

In small scale almost all the models you mention wouldn't be so bad to scratch, apart from the Tiger Moth perhaps.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dy031101

Perhaps a luxury hotel and shopping complex below the flight deck in addition to the hangers?

I've been thinking...... how about a police "aviation cutter"?  Like either a conventional light carrier or a Kiev class cruiser, but with an armament suite more relevant for law-enforcement (machinecannons and maybe self-defense CIWSs), SAR as well as hospital facility, and police patrol aircraft?

====================

To-do list here

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

dy031101

Quote from: Caveman on February 01, 2010, 04:20:54 AM
Sounds a bit like this
http://www.freedomship.com/

Hehe, I was trying to hint at just this one without actually saying it.  ;D

====================

To-do list here

proditor

Quote from: dy031101 on January 31, 2010, 05:14:12 PM
Perhaps a luxury hotel and shopping complex below the flight deck in addition to the hangers?

I've been thinking...... how about a police "aviation cutter"?  Like either a conventional light carrier or a Kiev class cruiser, but with an armament suite more relevant for law-enforcement (machinecannons and maybe self-defense CIWSs), SAR as well as hospital facility, and police patrol aircraft?

That would be a perfect way to reuse all those old Spruance hulls.  The air capable Spruance is a neat little package.

dy031101

Seeing that quite a few of new European carriers seem to have incorporated troop carrier functions into the design as well, I'm wondering how would a CATOBAR or STOBAR assault carrier have sounded.

One or two short C13 catapults (like those used by the Charles de Gaulle) or a skijump at the bow, angled landing deck, RO-RO ramp, easily-configurable aircraft/vehicle hanger bay, berthing for troops, and a stern well deck for launching mechanized or even air-cushioned landing craft.

====================

To-do list here

Old Paul

How about a slightly enlarged Dokdo-class? Similar in concept to the RN light fleet carriers, with a single catapult and angled deck?
Air Group of 16-18 "FA-45's" based on a cross between BAe Hawk 200 and T-45 Goshawk? Performance comparable to a Skyhawk. (ish) And a couple of Dauphin AS565 MA/MB's for SAR.
Might be enough for smaller budget Navies to get into the carrier game and bump up national prestige?

GTX

I'd probably go with a version of the T/A/F-50 (which I wish there was a kit of):

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!