Aircraft Carriers

Started by Nick, November 06, 2002, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

An overhead gantry part from a Lima Ho/oo freight set. You can get the crane craddle (hook) part seperate on eBay. (No, you're not having mine!!)

Hobbes

On a Dutch modeling forum, a gent is working on a 1:24 scale heavy truck crane, like this:

The plan is to release a kit of the crane...

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2012, 01:42:41 AM
The Skyhook plan is becoming more and more attractive in my mind. I think a diorama with a SHAR or SHAR2 suspended in mid-air is becoming quite a good idea. Mind you, what I use to build the 'hook' bit would be a bit of a problem.........

Ah, just what I was coming to, if slightly off topic!  There was a land based version proposed, you could do a version mounted on a truck?

The Revell MAN 10 tonner (the British army took them, realtively recentley) or Faun Elefant come to mind.

BW Models have several options if you're willing to work with (and pay for) white metal.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

That'd be a bit big Harro, I was thinking of doing it in 1/72. Most of the drawings I've seen have the 'crane' part as a Warren girder too, rather than a box section arm.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Sauragnmon

The only part that has me mildly confused about the theory is why do you need the hook to land a Harrier?  Vertical landing without the hook is possible, and wave action would affect the deck on a Sub less than a Carrier owing to the height difference relative to the wave action.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

rickshaw

Quote from: Sauragnmon on December 18, 2012, 04:13:48 AM
The only part that has me mildly confused about the theory is why do you need the hook to land a Harrier?  Vertical landing without the hook is possible, and wave action would affect the deck on a Sub less than a Carrier owing to the height difference relative to the wave action.
The hook can haul the aircraft in and place it on the deck in a smaller area than would be allowed if the aircraft came in and hovered.  The hook, also takes the guess work out of the landing, particularly in heavy seas.  Basically the aircraft comes in, hovers and "slides" sideways/forwards/backwards under the hook, which then engages with its dorsal fittings and it then turns its engine off and is hauled in and placed on the deck.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

A bit like the TV programme the Golden Shot, had to look this up on YouTube as I'm not old enough to remember it!!

PR19_Kit

At the time they were thinking about the Skyhook they could 'read' the vertical component of the wave action and feed that into the hook in reverse phase so that the pilot had a static 'hook' to fly under. Then they did as described above.

I've recommended John Farley's 'A View from the HOVER' till I'm blue in the face, but if you guys don't read it.....

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Caveman on December 20, 2012, 10:55:55 AM
hover* :P

OK, OK, I'm just SO tired if typing it.  :banghead:

It's THE book you just have to read before you even think about writing anything about Harriers or their offspring.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 20, 2012, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: Caveman on December 20, 2012, 10:55:55 AM
hover* :P

OK, OK, I'm just SO tired if typing it.  :banghead:

It's THE book you just have to read before you even think about writing anything about Harriers or their offspring.

Agreed wholeheartedly!  It is utterly fascinating...............but I'm a cheapskate and  borrowed it from the local library, cos I can't afford to  buy every  book I'd like in my library.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit

Why does that submersible carrier require a hook -- couldn't you just land and takeoff vertical
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

KJL,

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that is the piccies of the BIG submarine carrier with a couple of SHARs operating from an enclosed deck aft of the island, they are landing vertically. BUT the 'hook' they are using is the Skyhook crane that's operating from the port-aft corner of the island.

The idea of the Skyhook system was that it removed much of the workload in landing aboard ship, and maybe take-off too, from the pilot. Instead the 'hook' bit compensated for the roll, pitch, heave and yaw of the flight deck to which it was fixed enabling the pilot to fly his aircraft, in almost VSTOL mode, into a particular spot in his own airspace and from there on the Skyhook takes over and lowers the aircraft to the deck.

If that's not what you're talking about, my apologies, but can you give me the reference posting please?

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 19, 2012, 01:45:41 PM
At the time they were thinking about the Skyhook they could 'read' the vertical component of the wave action and feed that into the hook in reverse phase so that the pilot had a static 'hook' to fly under. Then they did as described above.

I've recommended John Farley's 'A View from the HOVER' till I'm blue in the face, but if you guys don't read it.....

I will put that book on my "To Buy" list although the discussion about the Sky Hook, for me at least, relies on other material I have read or seen. For once being "older" and remembering "Berney The Bolt" is an advantage.   ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Whilst browsing through Argos I came across Chad Valley toys. They call it a battle ship, what you really get is a 28 inch long aircraft carrier. It looks to me as if it is in 1/144 scale judging by the toy helicopters and aircraft you get with it. I know it's just a toy, but if could be turned into a Whiff with clever painting and aftermarket kits!!