Aircraft Carriers

Started by Nick, November 06, 2002, 11:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 04, 2018, 09:39:16 AM
... Also up to WWII carriers, most were designed to operate aircraft when the ship was going astern (backwards). These carriers could make impressive speeds astern. ...

Really? :o I would not believe it!  :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot!!! ;)
Will die without understanding this world.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 04, 2018, 09:39:16 AM

... Also up to WWII carriers, most were designed to operate aircraft when the ship was going astern (backwards). These carriers could make impressive speeds astern. ...

Why?  :o :o :o

And how did they steer accurately going astern?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

.....and then of course we have the " lower flying off deck" on some interwar carriers. Effectively, taking off from the hanger deck;allowing the ship to simultaneously land aircraft on the main flight deck while fighters were taking off on the lower deck or to speedily fly off her aircraft from both decks.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2018, 06:50:00 AM

Fairly standard practice for a ship Kit. Most had stern bridges for the purpose and a lot were nearly as quick going astern as they were going forward.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 06, 2018, 06:43:46 AM

Fairly standard practice for a ship Kit. Most had stern bridges for the purpose and a lot were nearly as quick going astern as they were going forward.

But why would they want to do that?

And from what I've found steering smaller boats and models the ruddy things don't steer worth a light in reverse!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 06, 2018, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 06, 2018, 06:43:46 AM

But why would they want to do that?

And from what I've found steering smaller boats and models the ruddy things don't steer worth a light in reverse!

Basically because they could Kit, or more accurately because it made steering in tight places much easier. Also putting the screws in reverse acted as brakes at times. The only problem when steering a ship is that you have to think a long way ahead as it's reaction times can be a bit slow. The biggest boat I've steered was an ex America's Cup yacht. An amazing experience but it did teach you about the benefits of forward thinking  ;) Also don't forget that a lot of modern ships will have screws mounted amidships (and other places) which are purely there for manoeuvring.

As for steering model ships/boats in reverse it's to do with the hull covering the steering surfaces and them not being large enough to react quickly in the depth of water they are in. The water around them tends to be dead.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I 'drove' a Fairey Huntsman all the way around the Isle of Wight once, back in the 70s (GREAT fun!) and didn't steer worth a light going astern either.

Luckily it had two engines so I could use the throttles differentially, but the rudder was useless going backwards.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I think there is a bit of difference between a model boat, a small(ish) power boat and a large ship, Kit.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

I'd agree with that, but why would BIG rudders work OK when going astern on BIG ships when proportionally similar size rudders don't work so well on smaller vessels?

Perhaps I should post this on a model boat Forum?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I drove a 70' narrow boat for a week once.  That was sluggish steering in the forward direction let alone in reverse.
At that length it could really have done with bow thrusters.
As it had a steel hull the lock gates and walls came off worse.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 08, 2018, 01:40:37 AM
I drove a 70' narrow boat for a week once.  That was sluggish steering in the forward direction let alone in reverse.

Initialy anyway they are possibly one of the most difficult things there are to steer. You almost have to to give the thing written warning that you are going to operate the tiller  ;D Once you get used to the time lag they are easier.

lenny100

i drove a Invincible class for a few days in the early 1990s during basic training, and believe me they could shift, the bigest restriction to throwing them around was any aircraft lashed down in the hanger or worse on deck, we were lucky no aircraft on board the day i got to stear so it was 30 starbord and port angle on the rudders and the ship was over at 15 degrees list in no time turning180 degrees in about 4 ship lenghts, when aircraft are on-board they are only allow to go to 15 and 5 degrees list, and the were as fast agoing astern as forward but lagged a bit on the rudders...
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lenny100 on February 08, 2018, 07:09:28 AM

........i drove a Invincible class for a few days in the early 1990s......

What a great line when down at the pub! LOVE it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

McColm

Great, I'll have to try that next time I'm at the National Maritime Museum Falmouth. They have a large pool where you can steer model boats around a set course.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 08, 2018, 10:54:48 AM
Quote from: lenny100 on February 08, 2018, 07:09:28 AM

........i drove a Invincible class for a few days in the early 1990s......

What a great line when down at the pub! LOVE it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Absolutely  ;D

Dad said he got to man the wheel of a destroyer at full tilt during the War (before he did his AAA course) and always said it was one of those moments that would stay with him for ever  :thumbsup: