S

J7W2, an intermittent step

Started by Swanny, April 16, 2006, 07:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swanny

When the US failed to move forward with a nuclear initiative the Japanese aircraft industry was able to complete its development of a jet powered interceptor. The J7W1 was a prototype development with a six bladed pusher prop but once the NE-130A turbojet engine was ready in late 1945 the initial production run of J7W1s were fitted with the new engine and designated J7W2. These aircraft were based on the Korean pennisula and wreaked havoc on B-29 bomber formations through the winter of 1945 and spring of 1946. Development did not stop there and the improved J7W3 was soon to be seen with its bubble canopy and improved range. Here we can see one of the early J7W2s in its winter scheme during the spring of 1946.

Note the primitve afterburner system used on the NE-130A engine

Ollie

Welcome aboard Swanny!

:D  :D  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

dragon

I have always thought that the SHINDEN was way ahead of its time.  Perhaps Burt Rutan managed to go back in time or something?  Here is what I did with the same plane.

Welcome to the asylum!
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Son of Damian

Thats a pretty cool bird Swanny!!! B)  B)  B)

What kit is that???

I remember seeing some where on the net a picture from a contest were some guy made every single model of the Shinden. Starting with the prop powered to the jet and with swept back wings etc. Though I can't find it anymore........  :(  :(  :(

I always kind of figured that if the war continued that the Shinden would have become the main airplane produced by Japan. Simply because a few of the prop version could be taken off the assembly line and changed to the jet version as jet engines became available.

The only thing possibly wrong is the backround story. Considering the way that the Kwantung Army was falling appart in Manchuria in August 45 I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the Russians would have been in Pusan by early September. But that doesn't matter really, again that is one sweet looking bird!!! B)  B)  B)    
"They stand in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it, they live–
in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

JamesA

Awesome Shinden there Swanny! The winter splinter camo is a particularly nice touch. What did you use for the NE-130A?

Sisko

Welcome aboard and the Shinden looks fantastic!

Love the camo scheme :wub:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

elmayerle

Very nice indeed.  I'm going to have to find my notes for a twin-engined version developed when the larger engine for the J7W2 runs into development problems.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

philp

Swanny,
Liked that build when you showed it over on FSM.  Nice to see you hear also.
Got any other Whiffs planned?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

NARSES2

Wellcome aboard Swanny. Lovely Shinden and I'm still trying to figure how you masked that incredible camoflage  :wub:

I've a couple of Hasegawa kits in the stash.

Now a serious question from those who know about these things. Would the side intakes be large enough for the jet engine ? It's just to this "non-techi" they dont look quite big enough

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

Hell of an introduction Swanny. Welcome to the loony bin. The Shinden is awsome and th camo scheme is beautiful....
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Brian da Basher

Great to have you join us here in the asylum, Swanny! I've been a fan of you work ever since I found your webpage a while back. That's a great looking Shinden and one heck of an introduction!

Brian da Basher

Swanny

Thanks for the welcome guys, seems many of you know me already. This is the Hasegawa 1/48 kit scribed with new enlarged engine intakes. I made these with a plung mold method over wood masters. Take a look at the intakes on Dragon's posting and compare them to mine -- nearly three times the size. The engine is completely scratch build from odd things in the parts box. The burner cone is the remains of a P-51 spinner. The masking was done with individually cut leaf masks, about 109 of them if I recall correctly and that took an entire evening just to cut and place. What's next? Well I am planning on a J7W3 at some point and have acquired most of the needed materials for that one plus I always wanted to do a B-17 conversion like Eddie Miller's KC-17 or Frank White's RB-17. Maybe once some of the current stuff clears the workbench I can think about it.

Swanny

I knew it was a mistake to sign up for this forum. Now you guys got me thinking about all sorts of what-if projects like I don't have enough to do already. I could see several future adaptations of the Shinden like the J7W3 I had already planned on with the cut down aft fuselage and P-47 bubble canopy but now the thought of a twin engine version (J7W4? Elmayerle, I'm blaming you for that one) with a more radical sweep to the wing, cut down fins (less torque to deal with) and shortened landing gear and maybe even an EWO in a back seat. Plus there are all the Luft projects like the Wespe that could be developed. Yes, I knew it was a mistake to sign up for this forum. Ollie, why didn't you stop me - I thought you were my friend!
:wacko:  

philp

We have him now...

Matt, just watch out for the Profile guru's.  Or else you will find yourself building S-3's, F-20's, Viggen's, etc in markings they were always meant to wear.

You have been warned.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

gooberliberation

Hey! I remember that one. When I was building up a J7W of my own and went looking for inspiriation, yours was one of the more coolest ones I've found
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.