The grand-daddy of them all!

Started by gooberliberation, April 17, 2006, 03:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooberliberation

This weekend I found treasure while rummaging through the storage shed...

MY FIRST COMPLETED MODEL, ca. 1990, completed with all the modeling skills my 6-year old self could muster. No paint, no glue, upside down decals, ooooo yeaaah! All I've done since finding it is superglue a broken nosewheel back together and slap some future onto the decals, all of which were peeling. A ventral fin and main gear door is still missing, but I can cannibalize them off a hasegawa kit 'er something :P

As you can see, its a monogram snap-tite, box dated 1980. The mold is still in use today in the form of Revell "Thunder Squadron," but with crappier plastic, crappier details, and with landing gear bays molded shut :( . previous monogram desktop models still had seperate doors but no gear. The funniest thing about the "flying" models is that they still have intake covers molded in. How they stay aloft, i do not know :lol: Its a shame that the new ones don't come with landing gear, otherwise I'd still be buying them!

Mabye someday I'll do a "proper" F-14 in the same markings and see how far I've come!
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Jack Bobson

I had that one too! And although I passed the kit down to a younger friend I've still got the decals!

Svaz

That's awesome! Every now & then I get 'flashbacks' about models I made when I was a kid (~13, hey I'm 35 now [where's that 'feeble' smiley]) They're all long gone so it's cool to see someone find a real memory.  B)  
Someday, I'll even finish a model ...

B777LR

No gluey finger prints on the canopy! My first model kit is a Revell 1/144 Avro RJ85 in Crossair colours. I chose to build it coz i was on a holiday, and i saw the box art, and it was the same plane and airline i had flown on just the day before!
My oldest model kit is my daddys Airfix Mirage III. It was his first kit, and i have all but two (a 1/72 Starfighter that his brother decided to launch with some fireworks, and a HMS victory model that went lost) of his kits.

Eddie M.

I had that kit too, but I modified it a bit ^_^
  Eddie
Look behind you!

gooberliberation

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Shasper

Dude! I hade one or 2 of those when I was 8 or 9! :wub:

Shas  B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.