Started by GTX, April 17, 2006, 10:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Quote from: Overkiller on December 24, 2008, 03:07:16 PM
VG Su-34 = HELL YES!!!!!

I think I like it! Now then, to get a Su-34 kit.... :lol:

:cheers:

Duncan

Italeri do one in 1/72 (Simon aka Sauragnmon is also convinced that he's seen a 1/48 version as well - I wait with all fingers crossed hoping he's correct).  BTW, if not already apparent, the wings are from a Su-24.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sauragnmon

I swear to god I saw it in a local hobby store, but it must have flown off the shelf as he doesn't have it.  He's going to get in contact with his supplier and see if there's some kind of miracle hiding in the back stocks somewhere.

Italeri Su-34's are discontinued stock, annoyingly.  I hope they're just recutting the kit, or else we'll have to start a petition somewhere.  You can also find a Revell copy of the Italeri kit - one could wonder if perhaps Zengdefu or however you spell it copied the Revell kit somewhere along the way.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Ok I'm getting confused - just what is the side-by-side strike Flanker's real designation?  It was the Su-27IB, though I understand that was more for the developmental prototypes.  Then there was the Su-34, which we all understood and were happy with.  For a while there was also the Su-32FN, but that seemed to die after no customers showed any real interest.  Now at last week's Paris Air Show (and on Sukhoi's website I subsequently note), I observed that they are calling it the Su-32 (no FN though). Arrgghh :banghead:.  Make up your minds comrades!!!!

Regards,

Greg

Deino

Found these "semi-stealthy" J-11XX ...

Deino
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
For nothing now can ever come to any good.
-
W.H.Auden (1945

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on June 23, 2009, 08:00:09 PM
Ok I'm getting confused - just what is the side-by-side strike Flanker's real designation?  It was the Su-27IB, though I understand that was more for the developmental prototypes.  Then there was the Su-34, which we all understood and were happy with.  For a while there was also the Su-32FN, but that seemed to die after no customers showed any real interest.  Now at last week's Paris Air Show (and on Sukhoi's website I subsequently note), I observed that they are calling it the Su-32 (no FN though). Arrgghh :banghead:.  Make up your minds comrades!!!!

Regards,

Greg

In the latest Combat Aircraft magazine that arrived in the mail yesterday, there's a one page article about Russian President Medvedev when he inspected the Russian Air Force.   He was taken on a half hour ride in one of those side-by-side Sukhois and it's refered to as Su-34 in the mag.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

redstar72

Quote from: GTX on June 23, 2009, 08:00:09 PM
Ok I'm getting confused - just what is the side-by-side strike Flanker's real designation?

As I can understand, its designation is Su-34 in the VVS, and Su-32 for export. Sometimes it happens in our aviation, when essentially the same aircraft has different designation for the export version. For example, Su-17 and Su-22, Mi-24 and Mi-25, Ka-27 and Ka-28...

Su-27IB was the first prototype (T-10V-1). It was converted from serial Su-27UB and had a lot of differences from its "offsprings". Here are some photos:

Note the landing gear and a short "tail", which shape is the same that ordinary Su-27s have.
Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

Sauragnmon

Also worthy of note - the Main Gear of the Su-27IB is the same as the original, and not the doubled MLG of the Su-34 - the Nose Gear, however, is indeed the same as used on the Su-34 - note that it has the ingress ladder that is standard only to my knowledge on the Su-34 - I don't know if even the Su-27KUB is a nose-laddered version like that.

Take to note, the Su-34's ingress is made as per a bomber, not as a fighter, through the nose gear well instead of through the canopy.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Yep, was aware of the differences between the Su-27IB and Su-32/34 - the following pics help give a quick idea of the external differences:

I just find it amusing that the designation seems to keep changing - do Sukhoi etc really think this helps with marketing?

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on July 04, 2009, 04:13:29 AM
I've often wondered why Sukhoi chose not to put a radar in that big bloody stinger.  I could imagine it being useful for illuminating a chasing aircraft to allow you to fire a BVR radar homing missile and then turn away and still keep illuminating the target.

I think you will find they did (or at least plan to).

Regards,

Greg

famvburg

How about these 2 as variants in the extreme? ISTR about 20 years ago when Sukhoi & Gulfstream were working torward the SSBJ, one of the designs looked to me like it used a lot of Flanker parts, or their designs were similar. IIRC, the outer wings, engine nacelles & its single vertical tail all looked like they were from a Flanker. I had even rounded up an Entex (or other) 1/100 Concorde & started cutting to add some Flanker bits to make that particular SSBJ, but got side tracked & it's just 'somewhere' now. Maybe a little less extreme, but some of the drawings floating around the Net showing the MiG-701 & Sukhoi T-60S, (www.paralay.com) claim they are both essentially the same aircraft as they were designed by the same guy, but they appear to use the forward fuselage of the Su32/34, & the outer wing panels, again to me, appear similar to the Flanker's. About 15 years ago, using the only 1 or 2 crude drawings of the MiG-701 I had then, built a 1/72 model using a 1/100 Concorde (hey, maybe that's where it went!) Lindberg 1/64 B-58 forward fuselage, MiG-31 wings for the outer wings & other bits & pieces, so now with newer (more accurate?) info, I'm thinking of doing a newer one using Su-34 parts.

GTX

I just found a 1:33 Su-34 (or Su-32 if you prefer) - only problem is that it is a card model.  If anyone wants it, just PM me (I have an electronic pdf copy).

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on July 04, 2009, 08:46:47 PM
Quote from: GTX on July 04, 2009, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on July 04, 2009, 04:13:29 AM
I've often wondered why Sukhoi chose not to put a radar in that big bloody stinger.  I could imagine it being useful for illuminating a chasing aircraft to allow you to fire a BVR radar homing missile and then turn away and still keep illuminating the target.

I think you will find they did (or at least plan to).

Regards,

Greg

Interesting.  I've never seen that claim.  I do know it carries fuel, which seems rather pointless to me.

Tail radar is supposedly the NIIP N012.  This radar forms part of the aircraft's defensive aids sub-systems suite (DASS) and warns the crew of approaching threats in the rear hemisphere as well as controlling active and passive jamming responses to such threats. Claimed to have a range of 50km for a 3 sq m RCS fighter, or 100km for a large aircraft. Scans 60° in azimuth and elevation.  Also supposedly able to be used to help guide missiles.

See following pic which shows a dielectric radome at the tip of the stinger:

Regards,

Greg

dy031101

Quote from: GTX on December 24, 2008, 11:46:18 AM
Well he might be a fool on most accounts, but he does do a nice PLA-N Su-34:

There were rumours that the PLAAF was testing a wind tunnel model that looks very similar to that of the Su-34...... although I am more inclined to imagine an alt-J-11BS based on the Su-27IB instead for a higher commonality with the existing J-11.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

Quote from: Sauragnmon on July 11, 2009, 05:04:35 PM
You know, Greg... if you were inclined... you could actually work to rescale the parts of that card model, into 1/48 (upsize 33 times to a 1/1 model, downscale by 48 so you would in theory have a 1/48 ratio copy) and from there you could make Plasticard copies of the pieces, and flesh it out into a 1/48 Su-34.

Just a thought, I know how much you wanted a 48 scale Su-34, and it wouldn't be the first time a card model's been converted to plastic with that manner.

Damn fine idea there!!!  What's more, knowing the wat the world works, the instant I finish, someone will release a kit to make it easier for everyone else.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Su-27KUB drawings should anyone want them.

+ Su-33 side view:

+ Su-37:

and finally some Su-30s:

Should anyone want higher resolution copies please PM me.

Regards,

Greg