Concorde bomber

Started by Archibald, April 18, 2006, 06:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

The Concorde had many bombers ancestors, particularly
- Avro Vulcan (4*Olympus)
- Mirage IV (Supersonic delta with fuel transfer in flight)
- B-58 Hustler (first supersonic, transantlic flight)

So, why not a concorde bomber (Ie a Bombord)?
I only make 1/72 scale models (not enough room for 1/48) so I bought the Heller kit last christmas. My aim : changing it into a long range supersonic bomber.
Here's the backstory
In 1974 the V-bombers and Mirage IVA were aeging. As the Concorde production line was desesperately empty after order cancellations, French and British governement agree to develop a bomber Concord. To do that, a Airbus Military company was set up. This was a big step forward comparing to the airliner concorde, because structure was well organized. It was decided to adopt first an upgraded Blue Steel, then the future ASMP. Bombord was to be a nuclear deterrent bomber, but also a conventionnal one. As a consequence, France and Great britain agree to develop a non-nuclear ASMP with TERCOM guidance system (later it was replaced by GPS and Galileo).
The AMC Bomborde flew in 1978, and enter service in RAF Dambuster 617sq  in March 1981. The AdA received its long range bomber in may 1981, and they entered service in GB 1/91 Gascogne in Mont de Marsan.
One year later, Bombord fire its first shot in anger bombing Port Stanley runaway after flight refueling by Vulcan K2... French Bombord were engaged in the Gulf War I, along with the British.
These bomber were constantly upgraded, and in 2005 a SLEP program extended their life up to 2040...
Phtos of my bombord (building) will arrive soon

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

I heavily modified the Heller kit, adding
- a bomb bay
- canards
- canted nose (instead of dropping nose)
In fact, lacking experience with such huge kit, I have demolished the nose drop system. So I decided to make a bomber with fixed, canted nose... To do that, i glued the cockpit to the fuselage but only below. There was a gap above, between the cockpit and fuselage. That's why the nose is canted... I filled the gap with a strip of paper and strong glue (must be solid, in other case the cockpit would fall on the ground :P)  here's the result
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Tophe

There's a white RAF Bomber-Concorde 1/144 on the site of our friend JCC: see http://kitbox.free.fr/reportages/IPMSUK04_...4_P/page13.html
(and in French for you Archie!) :)
Will you be more original including coloured camouflage or something? :D  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Archibald

Ok, if the RAF is done, why not a French one? after all, I have the markings for free in Heller... and finished my Mirage IV today.
So, ok, my bombord will be a French one...  :P  

Archibald

Hey Tophe, never thought about a twin-concorde??? this could be fun... Must draw that :P  

Shasper

That idea has been around for awhile, I did one up a few years ago (must dig out pics......)

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Archibald

Want to see that...  

Tophe

QuoteHey Tophe, never thought about a twin-concorde??? this could be fun... Must draw that :P
In a few minutes, this is done, dear, see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=0&#entry134911
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Archibald

Very good... lot of fun with it! I just want to add something : the fully loaded twin concorde would be as heavy as a 747 (360 tons!) What is interesting is range : nearly 14000km, as good as an A340!!  

Archibald

Other pictures of Bombord...  

Captain Canada

Looking good, Archie !

The RCAF also used the Bombcorde

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

Add a boom in stead of the garden hose, and you willl have a tanker that can refuel the F22 in supercruise!

K5054NZ

Todd, I love that little picture! Such grace! Such beauty! Such masterful colouring-in-the-lines! C'est magnifique!!!

Archie, it's great to see Bombord(e) being done in Armee d'lAir colours at last! Keep us posted.

Hmmm............the ultimate delta canard  :wub:  :wub: !

Archibald

I love the definition of the Canadian... this remind me "South Park, bigger l
onger and uncut"
I have to ask heller Mirage IVA markings for my bomborde...  apparetly I'm not the first to think about a concorde bomber. The project was apparetly studied in rela world, and I really want to know more about it...  

Shasper

QuoteThe RCAF also used the Bombcorde
Uh, you mean the Umbilicle Cord? :lol: :lol:

Here's my mk.1 rendention (aptly named the Harris, after Gen. Harris of WW2 fame)

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.